Getting my (pheasant) Chicks 1 hr 30 mins away!....

ticks

Pheasant Obsessed
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
The Sticks, Vermont
What do I do it will be an 1 hour and 30 min drive to get my chicks should I bring a box and put them in that with food and water or no food or water?. I don't want them crammed in that little box, but hey people ship for a day.

Last edited:
Just take a box with straw or something on the bottom and they will be fine. If they are day olds, make sure it is a small box so they can keep warm.

I will be keeping the heat on in the car :eek: its not comfortable for me but it is for the chicks I will be getting them when they are a few hours old, they haven't even hatched yet! maybe they are pipping. Will the be able to eat and drink when they are that old?

Ok, if they are day olds, you will need to use a small box so they are all bunched up together, and don't forget to put some bedding in there. They don't need to eat or drink for a couple of days or so as they live off the yolk for that time. I would put a lid on the box too, with a few air holes. You don't need to keep the heat on in the vehicle, just box them as I stated, and keep them out of the wind, and you will be fine.

Once you get home, you can supply food and water for your birds, they will eat and drink when ready. It isn't a bad idea to dip their beaks one by one to show them the water too. Also, you will need to feed very high protein content as a starter. I use 28% myself. The shoe box should be fine if they will fit in there.

I could only find 24% so I think I will give them that when their yoke sacs are gone. I have Terymicen to put in the water if needed. How will I no if I need it? It is probably a good Idea to put it in the water any way. They will have water right from the get go.

You don't need to put antibiotics in the water. Just put a chick waterer out with water in it, and put feed out for them and they will be fine. Not much different than raising chickens until they you have to bit them.

Oh, I was thinking you were getting pheasant chicks, and those would need to have bits to keep them from biting each other.

Back
Top Bottom