Getting my Quail to Lay

CoopedChik

Chirping
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Louisville Kentucky
My quail are in a nice big coop it's suppose to be 5 females and what I'm 95% is sure is a male. I say 95% because he trys to mate but the females don't seem to want anything to do with him. I was told he was a male and from what I can tell he is. Any way my 3 of my females have made nests they are almost 6 weeks old and 3 weeks then an older around who's about 5 months. But NO eggs!!! I have looked every morning I feed them and one hen even acts like she is sitting but nothings underneath her. Any idea what this could mean? Or what I should do?

they are cortunix I was told they would be laying by now, I'm worried the 1 I think is a male isn't. Do they need a male to lay or will they lay on their own?

Hey,
I am too having some problem with my grl(female coturnix)lay, She did layed nice amount of eggs but now she's just stopped, i really dont understand is she trying to gain her weight back and thn start laying again or has she had enough..
hmm.png

I too have the same problem. I have 5 coturnix quail(1male and 4 females) in a 14x12 foot coop. I just got them 2 weeks ago. They layed 2 eggs the day after i got them but haven't laid since. they are feed game bird feed and have a 100 watt light bulb on 24/7 on in a corner. what can I do?

When you moved them to your pen the change in environment caused them to stop laying. They should start up again really soon. You don't need a light, it's doing more harm than good. They get plenty of natural light this time of year.

Quote:
You need the male if you are wanting to hatch the eggs.... I have them just to eat the eggs and I removed the roo five days ago due to injury, and they have not missed a beat on laying eggs

Back
Top Bottom