Getting my Quail to Lay

CoopedChik

Chirping
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Louisville Kentucky
My quail are in a nice big coop it's suppose to be 5 females and what I'm 95% is sure is a male. I say 95% because he trys to mate but the females don't seem to want anything to do with him. I was told he was a male and from what I can tell he is. Any way my 3 of my females have made nests they are almost 6 weeks old and 3 weeks then an older around who's about 5 months. But NO eggs!!! I have looked every morning I feed them and one hen even acts like she is sitting but nothings underneath her. Any idea what this could mean? Or what I should do?

Quote:
See mine our on the same diet but they live outside so just sun light for them and now I have 10 because I picked up 1 more male and a few more females they all get along and they have plenty of space. They still haven't layed but I'm hoping they will soon because they started acting like they would nest.

ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN QUAIL LAW...

COTURNIX QUAIL ESPECIALLY ARE LOVERS OF PERPETUAL SAMENESS... ANY DISTURBANCE IN THIS IS A FELONY INFRACTION UPON QUAIL LAW AND DEALT WITH IN THE MOST SERIOUS OF WAY THEY CAN MUSTER.

"CHANGE MY PEN? BAD KEEPER! NO EGGS FOR YOU"
" CHANGE MY ROOMMATES? BAD KEEPER! NO EGGS FOR YOU!"
"CHANGE MY DIET? BAD KEEPER! NO EGGS FOR YOU!"

ANY CHANGE EVEN OF THE SLIGHTEST LEVEL MAY INVOKE THIS REACTION... NOW START WITH THE FACT THAT YOUR ORIGINAL STOCK WAS QUITE POSSIBLY TOO YOUNG TO BE LAYING TO START WITH ADD TO IT ANY MOVES, AND THE ADDITIONS OF NEW STOCK (WHICH I DONT SUPPOSE YOU QUARENTINEED BY THE WAY?) AND LETS NOT FORGET POSSIBLE DIET CHANGES... YOU MY FRIEND ARE MAKING THINGS MORE DIFFICULT ON YOURSELF WITH SOME VERY UNLIKELY EXPECTATIONS.

COUPLE ALL THIS WITH THE FACT THAT EGGS COME FROM BIRDS... MULTIPLY THAT BY FEMALE BIRDS BOTTOM LINE... NO MATTER THE SPECES OR COLOR OR CARE, ULTIMATELY YOU ARE AT THEIR WHIM OR WILL... THEY'LL LAY WHEN READY, AND NOT 1 MOMENT SOONER.

OH YEAH ALMOST FORGOT... MANY GET STAGE FRIGHT EASILY, SO IF YOUR PACING BACK AND FORTH IN FRONT OF THEIR PEN LIKE AN ANXIOUS NEW FATHER IT'LL TAKE LONGER
smile.png

they are cortunix I was told they would be laying by now, I'm worried the 1 I think is a male isn't. Do they need a male to lay or will they lay on their own?

Hey,
I am too having some problem with my grl(female coturnix)lay, She did layed nice amount of eggs but now she's just stopped, i really dont understand is she trying to gain her weight back and thn start laying again or has she had enough..
hmm.png

I too have the same problem. I have 5 coturnix quail(1male and 4 females) in a 14x12 foot coop. I just got them 2 weeks ago. They layed 2 eggs the day after i got them but haven't laid since. they are feed game bird feed and have a 100 watt light bulb on 24/7 on in a corner. what can I do?

When you moved them to your pen the change in environment caused them to stop laying. They should start up again really soon. You don't need a light, it's doing more harm than good. They get plenty of natural light this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom