Getting new birds and a new house-how to manage?

Update: I had to put them inside again last night. This morning, 2 of the girls had used the nest boxes before I let them out and another girl has used it this afternoon, so at least one of them is using the ramp to go back in by herself. I saw another girl go in there this morning, she got in a nest box, but she didn't "deliver", she just flung a bit of bedding around. I'm not sure whether it was the same girl who gave the egg this afternoon (ie whether there are 2 chooks who used the ramp today or whether it's only one).

Anyway, success! Thanks so much for all of the advice.

Oh, and I don't think it's too hot in there. It was blazing hot yesterday, but lovely up in the coop. It doesn't get the sun on it at all, being under the big tree. Everywhere else was awful, but inside the coop was perfectly pleasant.

Update: I had to put them inside again last night. This morning, 2 of the girls had used the nest boxes before I let them out and another girl has used it this afternoon, so at least one of them is using the ramp to go back in by herself. I saw another girl go in there this morning, she got in a nest box, but she didn't "deliver", she just flung a bit of bedding around. I'm not sure whether it was the same girl who gave the egg this afternoon (ie whether there are 2 chooks who used the ramp today or whether it's only one).

Anyway, success! Thanks so much for all of the advice.

Oh, and I don't think it's too hot in there. It was blazing hot yesterday, but lovely up in the coop. It doesn't get the sun on it at all, being under the big tree. Everywhere else was awful, but inside the coop was perfectly pleasant.
Good news, most 'change problems' just take time.
If it's not too hot in coop, confining them there is still an option.

If it's not too hot in coop, confining them there is still an option.
They are confined to the run, just not the house part. There's a door, but I don't like the idea of shutting them in....

Somebody made a HUGE racket this morning, I hope this was just a settling in thing or I'll have to rethink my reluctance to shut that door.

Got some photos of the new house, if anyone's interested.

3 of the girls in their new run

The outside

Sleeping area

Nesting area

Thanks, I like it because I don't have to bend to clean or get the eggs. It is also really nice being able to walk in and have full height to move about.

Me again...

If I put one of my "old" girls in with my 2 new young girls ("canary in the mine"), do I need to worry/guard against them fighting, or if the "canary chook" is separated from the others, will she just be "nice". How will the little ones react, will they freak out?

Will the canary chook teach the little ones to come out and look around? I've been opening their covered run open, but they just stay in there anyway (it's been hot, so I'm not too bothered that they want to stay in there).

yes, it was suggested that it is a way of introducing everybody, to introduce only one girl first to see that the smaller group (canary chook and new chooks) stays healthy before putting everyone together.

Back
Top Bottom