Getting new parakeet but am really worried

It's been years since I've had budgies but I never heard of letting them fly loose before adding one to the cage. I just put the new one in and they got along so well I soon added another. Budgies in the wild fly in huge flocks so, the more the merrier! I just got a bigger cage so they could fly and flutter around and get plenty of exercise. Enjoy (edit: YOUR) birds, I know you'll love them.

Last edited:
I do a seed diet. They always say to feed a pellet, and fruits and vegetables, but budgies are seed eaters, and I've had no luck in getting them eating anything extra.

You can offer stuff and see if they ever try them. I have at times sprouted their seeds for extra nutrition, it's one way to bring them into breeding condition. I also sometimes add in conditioning food, and of course they love their spray millet.

I've recently added in a vitamin for their water once a week. They also always have a cuttlebone, grit, and a mineral block.
Thanks! I’ve tried to give mine some veggies but she won’t touch them! How do you sprout there seeds? Thanks so much for the info!

It’s hard to say no to getting another! I started out with one and know I’m wanted to get a male so I can maybe someday have babies!
I bred a few around 30 years ago. I really enjoyed it and ended up with really tame budgies because I handled the babies daily as they grew.

Sprouted seeds will help bring them into breeding condition, and are great nutrition for the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom