Getting pullets to sleep on the roosting bar?

I have two EEs who sleep in the boxes. They are 27 weeks. One is laying, the other is holding out. I had a lovely cochin who was the leader and who died suddenly 2 weeks ago. She was roosting and the others joined her, but when she was gone, they went back to the boxes. I don't want to block the boxes as one sometimes lays early. I have a prefab coop with the roosting bar about the same level as the boxes. I could add a lip to the boxes that would make them more uncomfortable to just sleep in, or I could try to raise the roosting bar...

You can take the hens or chicks and place them on the bars at night. I plan to do that with my mutt/ Bard Rock chicks and eventually they shall get the idea. Just keep trying to get them up there.

Location is most important. generally speaking, birds wont roost any lower than their nesting boxes. Some will, but most wont. Elevation my friend! Also, your roosting rails are too skinny. Their feet curl under the rod and can cramp up. Try a 2x4 or a sappling tree around 2/12 inches in diameter at least. They need balance help when sleeping. Your set up looks uncomfortable to say the least. Break out the lazy boy recliners and they will be happy!
Are you talking to me? If you are, I am using a 2x4

I was looking at the picture posted on the home page. Thought this was yours. Apologize if I am not looking at it right or it doesnt belong to you. I "still" have a set up much like the home page picture and only a few girls use it on occaision. My main roost is above and over the top of our covered nesting boxes. I have a scrape board on top of that. I put a few birds on it to see if they would stay there and they took to it like they belonged there. I actually followed another BYC members tip and it worked good for me. Wishing you luck on this.

Laughing My A** Off. Social media and texting shorthand.
smile.png

This brings back memories... When our chicken fence was complete, the chickens had to learn to roost on the rafters of the barn. The chickens didn't know what to do, they just stayed on the ground trying to get out of the run. What I did was wait until it was dark and threw all the chickens onto the rafters. It's basically the same thing with the roosting bar, just put them on it once it's dark. My chickens only needed one night to learn to sleep on the rafters, maybe your chickens will understand just as fast. Good luck!
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom