Getting pullets to sleep on the roosting bar?

I've got 30 chickens of different brown egg layer breeds they must be 14 or 15 weeks old now, about half of them will roost and the other half sleeps in a pile on the floor in the corner of the coop just like when they were little

I had or have the same issue. I have since built this roll out "incorporated" nest box system that I thought would limit the problem. It worked for a while. Now they seem to be sleeping in there again! the last few nights I have been taking them out and putting them on the roosts. I think I am going to try the curtain idea I seen in another post. And yes the screws have been cut off! :)

Got a bit of a chuckle when you said you have cut off the screws. I thought "OH NO!" when I saw those!

I have 12 chickens that are about 3 1/2 months old I have tried to get them to roost, only about 4 out of the 12 actually do it. I blocked the nesting box for like a month and they still slept right against the board I had blocking it. I try shooing them out every night and when I can get a hold of one I place her on the roost but she hops right back down. I hope when they start laying they won't sleep in there so much. :(

My 4 pullets did the same thing at first, but I would take them out of the nesting box and put them up on the roost at dark. After only 2 nights they got the hint. Sounds like others have had the same results with this. Their security instinct should take over soon. I think pullets like the nesting box because they can huddle tight together. Almost like a baby being swaddled. Just a thought.

I have the same problem. Chickens with roost deficit disorder. 6, J.G.'s 3, (real) R.I.R. 3 Buff. They bunch in a corner. I have tried picking them up, putting them on the roost with no success. I have 2x4 roost 18" from the ground. J.G. are supposed to have low roost. Right now it is 5:45 in the a.m. and 80* outside. I know they aren't bunching for warmth. They were all hatched the end of APRIL ! I'm about ready to try Velcro on their feet.
lol.png
I don't like them roosting on the ground because of out hot humid climate. I am using sand in the coop, the clean courser play sand from the hardware store. Really like it. If anyone has a solution please post.

You don't need to 'teach' them to use the roosts. They will do it on their own in time.... its in their instincts.
That's what my dad tells me- but then, why would all of these other peoples who posted on this thread not roost? Many on here said they did indeed have to teach them, and those who did not teach them... well, they don't roost!

Regardless... last night was a success. They had all spread out on the ground, so I put them on the roost, and they all stayed put. They were laying down and all snuggled together within a few minutes/ C:

That's what my dad tells me- but then, why would all of these other peoples who posted on this thread not roost? Many on here said they did indeed have to teach them, and those who did not teach them... well, they don't roost!

Regardless... last night was a success. They had all spread out on the ground, so I put them on the roost, and they all stayed put. They were laying down and all snuggled together within a few minutes/ C:

People's chickens on this thread that they think won't roost, aren't realizing they WILL when they get old enough and decide to! I never put mine up on the roosts. They one night decided that what roosts are for. Chickens have been being chickens, longer than we all have had them. Lol..

Back
Top Bottom