Getting pullets to sleep on the roosting bar?

Okay, I will try :3 And they are 9 weeks old.....

ETA: I don't have straw. I could just use regular wood shavings, right?

Last edited:
Hi can anyone help me please. I have a sablepoot bantam that is dragging one leg backwards and won't walk on it. There is no sign of selling or break. What can I do. .

Okay, I will try :3 And they are 9 weeks old.....

ETA: I don't have straw. I could just use regular wood shavings, right?

They're only 9 weeks old. Let them be chickens! Don't bother them anymore. They're young and when they're ready, THEY will decide it's time to do as they should. Like I said. Do what I said over and over. I had one pullets, early on get into the nest and sleep. I left her alone and she decided not to do it anymore. They have to grow up a bit first. So take a deep breath and go do something else. I think we all want it all too fast, and chickens I am finding, don't work that way!

Location is most important. generally speaking, birds wont roost any lower than their nesting boxes. Some will, but most wont. Elevation my friend! Also, your roosting rails are too skinny. Their feet curl under the rod and can cramp up. Try a 2x4 or a sappling tree around 2/12 inches in diameter at least. They need balance help when sleeping. Your set up looks uncomfortable to say the least. Break out the lazy boy recliners and they will be happy!

Mine didn't sleep on the roosting bar for about the first 3 months and then all of sudden they started doing it. It just takes time for them to roost and the breed can make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom