GETTING READY FOR LOCK DOWN NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by victor miller, Feb 9, 2015.

1. victor miller

victor miller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    piedmont, mo
    WHAT IS THE TEMP AND HUMITY POST TO BE FOR LOCK DOWN ON A LITTLE GIANT INCUBATOR WITH FAN IN IT. HAVE IT NOW 45 TO 55 HUMITY AND 99.5 TEMP. DO I NEED TO CHANGE ANY THING?

2. jaredthefox

jaredthefox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Marshall Texas

I like my humidity to be a little high. It is called for 65-70% humidity. I like my humidity at 80%. I keep my temp between 99-100 degrees. During lockdown you must raise the humidity or your chicks will get glued to the egg membrane and die in the shell

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Temp can remain the same throughout incubation, if anything drop it by a half degree but if it's holding steady I wouldn't mess with it in a LG. They're too finicky.
    Raise the humidity to about 65%.

Hello from MO.

4. jaredthefox

jaredthefox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Marshall Texas
    After you have raised the humidity up don't open the bator at all. No matter if some hatch and others don't. Chicks can last 24 - 48 hrs without anytjing due to the egg yolk they absorbed. I repeat do not get antsy and open the bator. Only open it if the remaining eggs are not pipped and it looks like game over. If the humidity drops when a chick has popped it will get glued to the egg membrane and get something like shrink wrapped inside the shell

5. Bushmansbliss

Bushmansbliss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Same reply as others, good on temp but get that humidity up to 75-80% and sit back and enjoy the show :). And just curious, but what breed of eggs are you hatching?

6. victor miller

Mar 2, 2014
    piedmont, mo
    DO I NEED TO RAISE THE HUMITY NOW OR JUST ON LOCK DOWN?

7. victor miller

Mar 2, 2014
    piedmont, mo
    WHEN DO I PUT THE PLUGS WHEN THEY START HATCHING ? ON TOP OF INCUBATOR

8. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    hatching is a complicated process and theres no set standards to humidity...see your goal is to loose a set amount of weight as the egg develops....creating a perfectly good size air cell....if you have to much humidity then the air cell will be to small if you have to little then the air cell will be to big....everything has a role to play in incubation....your elevation ....your room temp the incubator is in as well as humidity and inside the incubator itself...my opinion for you is to have a log where you write down throughout the day the inside humidity/temp and outside the incubator humidity/temp...and then access your hatch rate...which is how many eggs hatch to how many you put in...even throughout the year everything changes...anyways if this sounds complicated then a great place on here for understanding the process with a lot of great pics is here....but generally you wanna increase the humidity on the 18-21st day...and remember the eggs can hatch later then 21 I had couple hatch out on the 23 or 24th day...everything plays a role....even the location on where you put your eggs in relation to your heat source....
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/577310/a-guide-to-humidity-weighing-and-lockdown
    http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/pfs32.htm
    http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/pfs33.htm
    hope this helps if you have any questions feel free to ask...im subscribed to your thread now
    EDITED TO ADD...THE PLUGS ARE LEFT OUT DURING LOCKDOWN...I DONT USE PLUGS...LEAVE THEM OFF YOUR INCUBATOR

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  9. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    as for temps...just make sure its around 99.5....many people take the eggs out and candle and draw how big the air cell is going and then place them back in the bator....so it really does have a lot of give...just like in the natural life cycle when brooding with a hen...the hen doesn't sit there all day every day...it has to eat and drink...so the eggs are left with out heat for a period of time...youll do fine..be calm and patient...that's what I have to offer...here are some pics of what I have used
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    forget the big swing in temps....as I was opening and closing the incubator and moving the dried birds to the brooder...that would be the reason for the humidity swing as well
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    At lock down because it's most important when the chicks pip.

The plugs should be out now because the embryo need to breathe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by