getting ready for the shows

Here's a few question that many give you a more custom reply:

How old are they?

What Breeds?

Are you taking hens and roos?

Is it a large show?

Any feathers missing?

Thanks, no it will be a small show a county fair. No Roos just hens, I have cochin, Frizzle cochin, turkin, Auracana, Americana all pullets no missing feathers, The Auracana is black and rumpless. Others are laced cochin and solid red frizzle . Americana is Lavender. RIR Bantum hen that is a proven show bird. I just want the public to be aware of all the different breeds. I am looking at the standard for speckled sussex and Russian orloff

Thanks, no it will be a small show a county fair. No Roos just hens, I have cochin, Frizzle cochin, turkin, Auracana, Americana all pullets no missing feathers, The Auracana is black and rumpless. Others are laced cochin and solid red frizzle . Americana is Lavender. RIR Bantum hen that is a proven show bird. I just want the public to be aware of all the different breeds. I am looking at the standard for speckled sussex and Russian orloff

I want to clean them up nice and display them. just not sure what to use for Shampoo and for feed

Use either a good cat/dog flea/tick shampoo, human baby shampoo or whatever shampoo you have in your bathroom. A week before the show, add wheat, oatmeal and/or a good quality pigeon feed to their diet to help firm up poops. Sunflower and safflower seeds will add oil to their plumage; ditto for canned mackerel. Not too much on the later--a little goes a long way.

I generally wash my soft feathered poultry the day before a show - preferably in the morning. I use a show shampoo for my horses. With the white birds I'll set up three tubs. One for the shampooing, one for a blue rinse (I use bluO, but I'm not sure if it is available in the states), and the final bucket with vinegar for the final rinse off.

(Be careful with a blue rinse... too much will dye your birds blue!)

I get a nail brush or old toothbrush for gently scrubbing their feet, beaks, wattles and combs.

After towel drying (rubbing only in direction of the feathers.... being very gentle) I put the birds into crates with clean shavings and set up little electric heaters to blow across half the pen. They will generally preen themselves in front on the warm air and dry by the evening. I'll turn the heater off as soon as they are dry underneath. You have to be careful that things don't get too hot for them.

With my hardfeather varieties (game birds) I'll only wash them once at the start of the show season. They are then kept in clean pens so that I don't have to wash them again. They do better if you allow the natural oils to return to the feathers because it will give them a glossy sheen. Too much washing will take away that lovely shine you are looking for.

Morning of the show I'll do final preparations before I pen the birds. This includes a final foot scrub, face wash, trimming of any little prickly feathers along base of the comb and a polish off with vitamin E cream on their red bits. I'll also put vegetable oil on their legs and polish off with a dry cloth.

Back
Top Bottom