getting ready to dispatch, just one question.....

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by dbone, Sep 11, 2009.

1. dbone

dbone Out Of The Brooder

Should i remove food 24 hours before I do it ? or does it not matter?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. byoung14ever

byoung14ever Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Brookston In
    I don't think it matters. I never have. I suppose you may have less of a mess if you are new to cleaning out insides. Be careful what and where you cut or you will have stomach contents on your meat.

3. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Be sure to remove the craw. My 1st experience at dressing a turkey I was not aware of the craw until the bird came out of the oven and as I began to carve the breast I noticed this dark area. Upon further investigation I found the pouch and when I opened it imagine my surprise to find baked grass, seeds, acorns and grasshoppers !!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I don't have turkeys (I'm lurking here) but I did butcher chickens recently and I am SOOO glad that I locked them up without food for the last day. Give them PLENTY of water, but no food and the crop (is it called something different on turkeys?) should be empty or near empty and you don't have quite so much poo to deal with when dispatching. I still had to deal with a little, but not much at all. Hope that helps! How old are your turkeys?

5. kenman

kenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I would suggest fasting the birds before dispatch. I didn't do this when I butchered six earlier in the year and the crop (craw) was huge and easily cut into.

6. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Quote:[​IMG]

That's hilarious! DH had to come in the room to see what I was cackling about. Thanks for the warning!

7. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    Yes you want to not give them any food for the last 24 hrs. Just all the water they can drink. That means no free ranging etc. It makes the cleaning job WAY nicer. There is nothing worse then dressing a bird that has feed in its system. YUK !!! [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

For the chickens and turkeys, I withheld feed just overnight and it was enough. With especially meat type birds, it reduces the size of the offal by at least a half if not more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by