1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

GETTING READY TO THROW OUT MY LITTLE GIANT!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fowlwoman1, May 13, 2008.

1. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    Left home for a couple of hours today and when I came back I checked the bator to see the max temp that registered while I was gone. 116.9 degrees!!!!!!![​IMG]

I am going to candle the eggs tonight and if the chicks are all dead I am going to sell this bator and make my own! I have a water heater thermostat that might regulate the temp better than whatever the LG has in it. I haven't been able to get the humidity higher than 40% give or take 10%. I don't see how the heck I"m going to get it to 70% for hatching. This is my first hatch with this brand new LG. I used my mom's hovabator for my last hatch(which was my first). When I bought the LG I didn't realize it had such a bad reputation. I felt the eggs to see how feverish they were and they didn't feel extremely hot, so maybe they have a chance.

2. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Yikes.

Good luck...

3. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Why would you sell it? Why would anyone els have different results with a faulty bator?

4. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Yikes! Don,t give up yet! Cool the eggs off right away with tempid water sprinkled over them.

5. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I was thinking that instead of selling it I might use it as a hatcher....

6. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Might not want to do that either. My chicks just died from getting too hot.

7. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you sure that your thermometer/hygrometer is calibrated? Maybe you're getting bad readings? Just a thought.

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    That's what I was thinking... I keep two thermometers in there to double check. I had a digital go out on me, and it went really crazy before it died... 120°F. Thing is, the temps never changed. I'd keep an eye on it, but I'd definitely suspect the thermometer. My little LG keeps the most perfect temps I've ever seen, so I can only shake my head and wonder why everyone's having so many problems.

How old is the 'bator?

9. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    My LG holds steady too....no problems at all---AS LONG AS YOU KEEP IT OUTR OF DRAFT AND SUNLIGHT!!!

10. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i have 5 lgs and i think they are great im getting 90%hatches

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by