Getting rid of mean drakes

Megan_M

Chirping
Nov 13, 2019
Southern Indiana
Just wondering what to do with my mean Rouen drake... I don’t necessarily want to kill him because of how beautiful he is, so any suggestions on what type of places would take him or find a need for him? Thanks!

DuckyDonna

Free Ranging
Aug 26, 2018
Dallas, Georgia
Megan, can you fence off a portion of your run and duck pen to keep him separate from the others? I had to do that last summer when my drake was tearing up all the feathers of my girl's necks. He was the only drake with 6 girls too! I had blukote all over me and the girls. I built a little drake jail with the help of @onaharley where he could see the girls but no raping and pillaging. I'll be glad to help if you'd like pictures of what I did.

Megan_M

Chirping
Nov 13, 2019
Southern Indiana
Megan, can you fence off a portion of your run and duck pen to keep him separate from the others? I had to do that last summer when my drake was tearing up all the feathers of my girl's necks. He was the only drake with 6 girls too! I had blukote all over me and the girls. I built a little drake jail with the help of @onaharley where he could see the girls but no raping and pillaging. I'll be glad to help if you'd like pictures of what I did.
Yes I indeed will do this soon! Pictures would be very helpful!

hayley3

Crowing
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
Just wondering what to do with my mean Rouen drake... I don’t necessarily want to kill him because of how beautiful he is, so any suggestions on what type of places would take him or find a need for him? Thanks!
There is an Indiana Poultry group on facebook if things don't work out.
Also this one: Southern Indiana, Livestock and Farm Sell/Trade.

DuckyDonna

Free Ranging
Aug 26, 2018
Dallas, Georgia
this is a picture of a little sliding door I made to keep him from the girls. don't laugh too hard at my unsquare walls. I put him in the back and the girls in the front and life was good.
IMG_0530.JPG

He has a relationship with one of the girls since I brought him home. They love each other and after a week or 2 of watching him being miserable I put the girlfriend in with him in the segregated area and that worked great. He wasn't so sad and she didn't get abused by him. I guess you just have to see how things go.

DiYMama540

Free Ranging
Premium member
Jun 25, 2019
SW VA
My Coop
My Coop
I think most of us have some sort of version of "drake jail". They are relentless when they get it in their mind to bully. Hopefully a week or so of cooling off will adjust his behavior.

Have you checked your state thread on our site? Someone may have recently lost a drake and is looking for a replacement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom