Getting seed in the droppings

Haggis

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 2, 2009
I am getting a lot of unprocessed seeds in the poo for a couple of days now. Think it is just from one chicken.

They have been in the run (4 chickens, 4mx2m) for about 6 months now. Is it possible that they have ran out of stones? They have grit available all day, but should I be supplying stones also.

...or do I have another issue - maybe a gullet problem?

David

I have one girl that always poops all the millet seeds right out. I thought there was a problem at first, but she's been like that for months. All the girls get into some of the wild bird seed everyday and she's the only one who poops it through. I think it's just the way she is. There's nothing wrong with her, so I am ignoring it. It seems that each chicken is different - just like people.

ETA: My birds free range all day, everyday. They have access to all the stones and grit they would ever need, so I know lack of grit is not her problem.

Last edited:
It is weird that it has only just started, that is what concerns me.

Would worming help?

As long as they have grit available it's probably nothing to worry about. At least as long as you're sure it's seeds and not worms. If you have any doubt take a sample into the vet and have a fecal float done. It's around $20 here and many vets don't need to see the animal to do a fecal. I like to do fecals instead of just worming because that way I know I'm treating FOR something and don't have to throw eggs away on a maybe. One of these days I'm going to get the set-up and learn how to do them myself.

She died on Christmas, during lunch. I was advised that she may have been egg bound but that may have been a little late as by that time she was drolling. Oh well.

So very, very sorry!
hugs.gif
How sad...

Second one gone. Only got two left now.

The second one had the same symptoms as the previous. Not moving. Lethargic. Not drinking (I gave her some by hand). Going Limp over a few hours. I did not want to see her suffer so I put her out of her misery. That seemed the best solution. Went for the neck break option and it was quick - lucky for the chicken as I had not done it before - only seen it!

They had grit, food, water, greens, leftovers (not potatoes / citrus / spicy). I think that they two dead ones may have been older than they were sold to me as.

Hope I have not been too premature! Although from my two remaining chickens I am still getting nearly as many eggs per week as when I had four - don't think they laid much anyway.

The kids (2 and 5) are learning a lot of good things about animals and what happens so that is great. I have been telling them straight about what has been going on and they are okay with it. Stunningly so! May have a couple of farmers on my hands here
cool.png

Oh well, onwards I go - have 6 R.I.R. on order and may be picking them up tonight.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom