Getting stuff to grow in duck yard

LosPatos

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2020
So, I bought a vacant lot and had a house built. That means that when I moved in, there was no yard. Just some weeds/grass around the perimeter and dirt/mud in the middle. I got ducks before the yard grew in. The part of the yard without ducks, is growing weeds which I harvest for the ducks. In their part of the yard, they have picked everything clean so that new sprouts get eaten rather than grow. They also seem to have cleaned the weeds out of the edges with the exception of Japanese knot weed and some tall grass. Is there any hope of anything ever growing in their part of the yard? Will it forever be just a yard of mud/dirt? I live in an area where yards die in the summer (hot and dry) and grow in the winter (rainy and moderately cold). Do you think it might grow then? I didn't think about this when I got the ducks and now I'm wondering what I can do so that it isn't just a complete mud-hole in the winter... or if I just need to live with a mud-hole in the winter.

Yes, you can do this! You are going to have to section off parts of the duck run, plant grass seed, once that grows well enough to put the ducks back in there you section off another area. I'm on my 3rd and last in my yard which was 100% just like yours!

You can see on either side of the middle is grass. My 10 ducks have access to both the side areas. I've got eggs in the bator that are due to hatch any time so in about 4 weeks when they go out there I'll give them the side on the right and hopefully the middle will be ready to let the big kids in there so they'll have the middle and the left side. At that time every area will have grass. I started all this early spring on the right side.

I've got the middle blocked off right now and although it's only been a couple of days I've got grass growing very well in that middle part.
61177409131__64C91AF7-2C92-48C4-BA90-8AAB42CFAE52.JPG

Oh, another thing, you need to get the grass seed started soon because it's hard to grow grass well in hot weather.

The hardest part of getting grass seed to grow in hot weather is keeping it well watered. As long as the area isn't huge, water shouldn't be a problem assuming you have a good sprinkler system and use something like peat moss to cover the seed. Once established, the grass (depending on the type) will thrive in hot weather.

Well, I don't necessarily want to plant a yard. I'm perfectly happy with weeds growing in. I'd probably have to section it off though, which is a pain because of cost of fencing and the fact that I already have to section my yard to keep the drakes and hens separate (3 drakes, 3 hens) and I also have a dog run. I was thinking of maybe letting the ducks take over the dog run for a while... but there isn't easy access to it from the duck run. I might need to change that.

Why not native bushes that way they would have something to get under for protection during the day and shade from the hot sun. I have 2 burnIng bushes up in my flocks property plus many native trees the bushes offer protection from flying predators and they just like to hang out under it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what zone you are in, but I have planted Arrowood viburnum, American Cranberry, Nannyberry, Ninebark, Pussy Willow's around my property as cover for the ducks plus tons of tree's and tall weeds.

Well, I don't necessarily want to plant a yard. I'm perfectly happy with weeds growing in. I'd probably have to section it off though, which is a pain because of cost of fencing and the fact that I already have to section my yard to keep the drakes and hens separate (3 drakes, 3 hens) and I also have a dog run. I was thinking of maybe letting the ducks take over the dog run for a while... but there isn't easy access to it from the duck run. I might need to change that.

If that’s the case you can either section them off from the area and let natural weeds take over or plant something like millet that ducks like and grows quick.

You could probably get buy with some plastic fencing and cheap 1x2 stakes to section it off.

Where do you live?

Yes, you can do this! You are going to have to section off parts of the duck run, plant grass seed, once that grows well enough to put the ducks back in there you section off another area. I'm on my 3rd and last in my yard which was 100% just like yours!

You can see on either side of the middle is grass. My 10 ducks have access to both the side areas. I've got eggs in the bator that are due to hatch any time so in about 4 weeks when they go out there I'll give them the side on the right and hopefully the middle will be ready to let the big kids in there so they'll have the middle and the left side. At that time every area will have grass. I started all this early spring on the right side.

I've got the middle blocked off right now and although it's only been a couple of days I've got grass growing very well in that middle part.
View attachment 2160990

I just love your setup!

also, OP, I’ve found our ducks to be chill with the merest suggestion of a fence. We have a huge slug problem here and can use 24” plastic poultry netting with stakes every several feet (we just use pruned branches as stakes) and they’re perfectly happy to stay within the temporary pen and feast on slugs so long as there’s a bucket of water nearby.

Back
Top Bottom