Getting testing done next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I am saying is that an person (A backyard chicken owner) does NOT have to be NPIP certified in order to ship birds.
To ship chicks they do, unless they want to pay for a vet to check each batch, if they could even find a vet able to test a chick and still make the shipping regulations of a day old.

The OP was asking about chicks. You are just trying to pick at straws. No one said every state has the same regs for their NPIP..... However, when you call a state for an import permit and tell them you are not NPIP I am betting in 48 states they will tell you, you cannot send eggs or chicks to that state. I have talked to about 30 of them, including Wy that says you do not need it..You do.

State Statute for selling eggs is as long as they aren't graded.

Texas Administrative Code

Next Rule>>
TITLE 4 AGRICULTURE
PART 1 TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
CHAPTER 15 EGG LAW
RULE §15.2 Who Must Obtain a License
(a) License required. A license must be obtained from the department by the following:

(1) any person who buys or sells eggs in this state for the purpose of resale;

(2) each separate facility where eggs are graded and/or stored, packed, or processed;

(3) any person who first establishes the grade, size, and classification of eggs offered for sale or sold in this state;

(4) any egg broker.

(b) Exemptions. This section does not apply to:

(1) producers of eggs who sell only the production of their own flocks without claiming any egg grade or size and without engaging in any previously defined egg marketing activity which would cause them to lose their identity as a producer, except that these producers are required to identify their eggs as "Produced by (producer's name)" and give their address;

(2) a hatchery buying eggs exclusively for hatching purposes;

(3) a hotel, restaurant or other public eating place where all eggs purchased are served by the establishment;

(4) a food manufacturer purchasing eggs for use only in the manufacture of food products, except for a person who operates a plant for the purpose of breaking eggs for freezing, drying or commercial food manufacturing;

(5) an agent employed and paid a salary by a person licensed under this chapter; and

(6) a retailer who sells eggs directly to consumers.

In state and Out of State

(c) Public sales. Poultry offered for public sale or trade at markets such as trade days, flea markets, auctions, or any other public sale shall originate from pullorum-typhoid clean flocks or hatcheries. The seller shall furnish proof of the source of poultry or hatching eggs offered for public sale. The owner or management of any market or public sale shall prevent the sale, trade, or offer for sale of any poultry that is not properly qualified under the Texas Pullorum-Typhoid Program as prescribed by the Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (TVMDL) and/or the National Poultry Improvement Plan. Failure to enforce this requirement may result in the seeking of a court order prohibiting any further sale of poultry on the grounds. Poultry from states other than Texas shall be accompanied by a health certificate from the state of origin, including a negative pullorum-typhoid test within 30 days of the sale as described in subsection (e)(1) of this section. Poultry not properly identified and qualified as pullorum-typhoid clean are prohibited from sale and shall be returned to the owner's or dealer's premises.

(d) Surveillance. The commission may pick up dead poultry at farms to determine if Laryngotracheitis or any other disease is present in any area.

(e) Interstate Movement.

(1) Poultry shipped into the State of Texas shall be accompanied by an official health certificate issued by an accredited veterinarian within 30 days prior to shipment. The health certificate shall state that the poultry have been inspected and are free of evidence of infectious or contagious disease; that the poultry have been vaccinated only with approved vaccines as defined in this regulation; and that the poultry have not originated from an area that has had active Laryngotracheitis or chicken embryo origin Laryngotracheitis vaccine virus within the last 30 days. The certificate shall also state the poultry have passed a negative test for pullorum-typhoid within 30 days prior to shipment or that they originate from flocks which have met the pullorum-typhoid requirements of the Texas Pullorum-Typhoid Program and/or the National Poultry Improvement Plan. Baby poultry will be exempt from this section if from an NPIP, or equivalent, hatchery, and accompanied by NPIP Form 9-3, or APHIS Form 17-6; or, are covered by an approved "Commuter Poultry Flock Agreement" on file with the state of origin and the commission.

My main question was really only concerned with getting ready for the tester but, she seems pretty cool and says she will have questions for me before and when she gets to our property. I didn't see any checklists to prepare for her visit..

My main question was really only concerned with getting ready for the tester but, she seems pretty cool and says she will have questions for me before and when she gets to our property. I didn't see any checklists to prepare for her visit..

I have never either. (seen check list)

I was scared Poopless on the first visit of the USDA vet. In Minnesota some people are inspected by the state some by the USDA. I happen to be in the USDA Vet's area. She was super. She liked what I did, but I am a germophobe according to some here. She told me they were not here to "flunk" anyone but to tell me where I could improve. They have done that.

You will do fine! Do not be afraid to ask questions. The tester will simply test, the inspector does both. I am a tester, so I test my own, but I do have them help me because of the amount of work and time involved if I do it alone.

I have never either. (seen check list)

I was scared Poopless on the first visit of the USDA vet. In Minnesota some people are inspected by the state some by the USDA. I happen to be in the USDA Vet's area. She was super. She liked what I did, but I am a germophobe according to some here. She told me they were not here to "flunk" anyone but to tell me where I could improve. They have done that.

You will do fine! Do not be afraid to ask questions. The tester will simply test, the inspector does both. I am a tester, so I test my own, but I do have them help me because of the amount of work and time involved if I do it alone.
Right, anytime the "state" or outside orgs get involved. How big is your flock?

Right, anytime the "state" or outside orgs get involved. How big is your flock?

It ranges from 150 breeding stock (chickens) and 15-30 Turkeys.

AT some times I have 400-500 here. This is low time now. I am way down now, to around the 150 number..WHICH is the number I said I would get to and some doubted it..

Oh, for goodness sakes, silly girl, I know that. I meant NPIP vs just PT testing. :plbb
In Texas the only required testing to be a NPIP participant is PT testing!
Woot woot!

Each state differs.
All states require PT testing some also require AI testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom