Getting testing done next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Texas the only required testing to be a NPIP participant is PT testing!
Woot woot!
I know that. There is still a difference between just doing testing and filling out an actual certification. I've looked into it too & E-mailed vets.

Last edited:
Just an update in case anyone else comes around on this topic. I got this email from the tester. We had to reschedule for this Saturday instead.

WHAT IS PULLORUM-TYPHOID?

Pullorum disease and fowl typhoid are infectious poultry diseases, primarily of chickens and turkeys, caused by the bacteria Salmonella Pullorum and S. Gallinarum. The mission of the Pullorum-Typhoid (PT) Program is to bring about the control and eradication of pullorum disease and fowl typhoid from poultry flocks in Texas and to maintain Texas as a U.S. Pullorum-Typhoid Clean State.

The program, enacted by the 65th Texas Legislature, requires all domestic poultry (chicken, guinea, pheasant, quail, peafowl, and turkey) offered for sale, trade, or used to produce offspring for sale or trade must be tested for PT and found free of infection. In addition, the program requires all poultry going to public exhibition or sale be free of infection or originate from a certified clean flock. TVMDL is the recordkeeping authority for this program.

DO I REALLY HAVE TO TEST MY FLOCK?

If you take poultry to exhibitions or sales, they must be tested and found free of the pullorum-typhoid infection. IT’S STATE LAW.

• Breeder flock testing must be done on an annual basis. The flock test and form are good for one year from the date of the test. This is the only paperwork required for shows and sales in Texas.
  • Birds can be tested at exhibitions and sales, but if one bird tests positive, the entire flock is considered positive. Poultry owners will not receive paperwork if PT testing is performed at an exhibition or sale.

DAY OF TESTING

• Please keep your chickens in the coop/pen/enclosed area the day of testing.
  • Are your chickens sick or showing unusual signs of illness? Please report this to me.
  • All birds must be at least 16 weeks of age or nearing sexual maturity to test (peafowl must be one year).

WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?

• The first year is the qualifying test. 100% of the flock must be tested. This qualifies the breeding flock, hatching eggs, and baby poultry.
  • Pigeons, doves, and waterfowl will not be tested (unless the poultry flock has tested positive).
  • We report all negative testing results into the TVMDL pullorum-typhoid office within 10 days of testing. Positive reactors are reported within 24 hours.

Just an update in case anyone else comes around on this topic. I got this email from the tester. We had to reschedule for this Saturday instead.

WHAT IS PULLORUM-TYPHOID?

Pullorum disease and fowl typhoid are infectious poultry diseases, primarily of chickens and turkeys, caused by the bacteria Salmonella Pullorum and S. Gallinarum. The mission of the Pullorum-Typhoid (PT) Program is to bring about the control and eradication of pullorum disease and fowl typhoid from poultry flocks in Texas and to maintain Texas as a U.S. Pullorum-Typhoid Clean State.

The program, enacted by the 65th Texas Legislature, requires all domestic poultry (chicken, guinea, pheasant, quail, peafowl, and turkey) offered for sale, trade, or used to produce offspring for sale or trade must be tested for PT and found free of infection. In addition, the program requires all poultry going to public exhibition or sale be free of infection or originate from a certified clean flock. TVMDL is the recordkeeping authority for this program.

DO I REALLY HAVE TO TEST MY FLOCK?

If you take poultry to exhibitions or sales, they must be tested and found free of the pullorum-typhoid infection. IT’S STATE LAW.

• Breeder flock testing must be done on an annual basis. The flock test and form are good for one year from the date of the test. This is the only paperwork required for shows and sales in Texas.
  • Birds can be tested at exhibitions and sales, but if one bird tests positive, the entire flock is considered positive. Poultry owners will not receive paperwork if PT testing is performed at an exhibition or sale.

DAY OF TESTING

• Please keep your chickens in the coop/pen/enclosed area the day of testing.
  • Are your chickens sick or showing unusual signs of illness? Please report this to me.
  • All birds must be at least 16 weeks of age or nearing sexual maturity to test (peafowl must be one year).

WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?

• The first year is the qualifying test. 100% of the flock must be tested. This qualifies the breeding flock, hatching eggs, and baby poultry.
  • Pigeons, doves, and waterfowl will not be tested (unless the poultry flock has tested positive).
  • We report all negative testing results into the TVMDL pullorum-typhoid office within 10 days of testing. Positive reactors are reported within 24 hours.
A good friend of mine just took the class on Monday to become an authorized 'tester'.
She said it was fun but one thing that I was not happy to hear is there was no real life testing done in the class. (Testing certificate is good for 3 years)
She will have to spend about $200 for the testing supplies then will be able to test anyones flock. I spoke to the 'teacher' to find out when a class will become available in my area. He said the classes fill up within minutes of them going live and one class should be within a 3 hours drive before the end of the year. 3 hours! :eek:
I got the packet for becoming NPIP in Texas and will forward a copy to you if you want it.

It is basically three things:
1. Sign a waiver
2. Get PT tested
3. Pay $100 membership!
Good for one years time.

http://www.poultryimprovement.org/documents/ProgramStandardsJanuary2017.pdf
A good friend of mine just took the class on Monday to become an authorized 'tester'.
She said it was fun but one thing that I was not happy to hear is there was no real life testing done in the class. (Testing certificate is good for 3 years)
She will have to spend about $200 for the testing supplies then will be able to test anyones flock. I spoke to the 'teacher' to find out when a class will become available in my area. He said the classes fill up within minutes of them going live and one class should be within a 3 hours drive before the end of the year. 3 hours! :eek:
I got the packet for becoming NPIP in Texas and will forward a copy to you if you want it.

It is basically three things:
1. Sign a waiver
2. Get PT tested
3. Pay $100 membership!
Good for one years time.
I know. I was trying to check for classes too but they all said filled..I'm like HOW!!? LOL. But, yeah my tester was waiting on her supplies. Her fee is low, $25 but, I am going to tip her just bc she's driving 30 miles to my town and she has to pay for those supplies. Yea email me that please...

http://www.poultryimprovement.org/documents/ProgramStandardsJanuary2017.pdf

I know. I was trying to check for classes too but they all said filled..I'm like HOW!!? LOL. But, yeah my tester was waiting on her supplies. Her fee is low, $25 but, I am going to tip her just bc she's driving 30 miles to my town and she has to pay for those supplies. Yea email me that please...
Will send it to you now.
Testers can charge what ever they want.
No set price, that is nice that you are paying her gas money and then some!
:thumbsup

Just came across this. I just scheduled my NPIP testing for next Wednesday. I am a little nervous, I am sure for no reason but still! I am working on building my flock of Bearded d'Uccles and Call ducks trying to raise some show quality birds and I travel to a lot of shows so I think being NPIP certified will be beneficial now and in the future when I have birds to sell. Any tips from your experience I can plan for to make it as smooth as possible? I only have about 20 birds tops that are old enough for testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom