Getting the chickens into the coop at night

Puma

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Riverside
How do I get the chickens to go into the coop to roost at night? I have been having to put them in there every night. They are about 7-8 weeks old. We have two 8 month old ones that go in to roost, but the youngster's won't follow??

Lock them in, for at least a couple of days. Then when you do start letting them out, do so a few hours before sunset.
Increase the time as they get the hang of it.

Last edited:
Quote:
I kept mine locked in their house for 3-4 days and then let them out.

Most times they go in, but occassionally I might have to round one or two up..

The Turkeys are the worst... They would prefer the outside on top of shed or in trees...
he.gif

Easiest way is with 2 long slinder sticks about 5 ft.. Just herd them right in..

Lock 'em up til they figure it out! You could try the "treat trail" method too, lay out a trail of their favorites right up into the coop at the appropriate time each evening until they go in. Good luck!

Do you have a light in your coop? Turn on the light and they will gravitate towards the coop.

I never had a problem with this, but you might also try feeding them right before they should be going in to roost....like 5 pm or so.

Mine free range, so I feed in the evening. I feel this encourages more foraging during the day and still gives them a good meal before bed, just in case they didn't forage enough to eat.

What I notice is that the older hens will eat first and then head straight for the roosts in order to get their favorite places. Then the younger birds get a chance to eat without getting pecked and they generally follow the older gals to the roosts.

After herding mine in every night for about a week... tonight I went out to find all 18 chickens in their coops. The BO are the youngest and the ones I've had the fewest problems with. I think they feel more secure inside their coop late in the afternoon.

My silkies, which are in a separate coop though, seemed to be a little slow figuring it out, but tonight they were already in their coop and waiting for me to lock them in for the night. I was so proud of them.
clap.gif

I'd say just give them some time. Once they learn the routine, they should go in all by themselves.

I turn a light on in the coop around 6-7PM, and at dark they are all in there. Just a plain old 60W bulb. Worked better for me than treats; they are full by the end of the day.... The other group gathers near the coop entrance but I have to shoo them in every night.

Quote:
I have my bantams in a large cage, but during the day they free range in protected and enclosed run, kind of tractor.

Their feed is only in the cage, so when they see me in the evening all of them run to the cage ready to be locked up for the night.

Never had any problem from the day one they went outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom