Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

I'm wondering what the neighbors think? Are you like the infamous chicken mogul? Has Bernie enlisted his cousins to patrol the grounds from chicken poachers?
at some point OZ might have to hire a night time chicken guard who carried a big stick or a bolo knife

I'm wondering what the neighbors think? Are you like the infamous chicken mogul? Has Bernie enlisted his cousins to patrol the grounds from chicken poachers?
Mogul? LOL

Just a boy with a crazy idea and a wife that tolerates it.

We have yet to have anybody steal a kano chicken but they are not free ranging yet. With the new netting, we will be able to make a fence of sorts inside the boundary fence.

There are 15 local native chickens acting as decoy.

Free range been happening here too.

There has always been a demand to move away from cage eggs and meat. The way the standards are written though are very misleading. People here pay extra for free range meat thinking the birds visit a paddock with sunshine and grass and space. The legal definition is quite different. Law was just passed here for that 'free to roam' chickens need to be advertised as not free range. They are full sized meaties living on an A4 sized pieces of paper's worth of space. Punters are buying those at nearly twice the cage bird prices thinking they are paying for a better product.

The law I tell's ya, need to be better shaped!

Free range been happening here too.

There has always been a demand to move away from cage eggs and meat. The way the standards are written though are very misleading. People here pay extra for free range meat thinking the birds visit a paddock with sunshine and grass and space. The legal definition is quite different. Law was just passed here for that 'free to roam' chickens need to be advertised as not free range. They are full sized meaties living on an A4 sized pieces of paper's worth of space. Punters are buying those at nearly twice the cage bird prices thinking they are paying for a better product.

The law I tell's ya, need to be better shaped!
we have cage free - which is free to roam in a huge shed and free range which means they get direct sunshine and maybe grass for atleast a few minutes a day

the law is moving slowly

Just caught up with the adventure. OHH you need more coops do ya.... Pig didn't we have this conversation already???? As for the laws and the free range.. I think its a matter of information flow here in the states, people don't ask the questions they should, and they belive what their told/read. The laws here in the WE THE CORPORATIONS states are meant for them, the corp growers and sellers to make a bigger buck off of the people too busy or uncaring to ask the questions but are trying for a better chicken to feed their family. I doubt we will ever see laws here in the states labeling which are feed GMO products since were the only fools going down that road.

Oz great news about you children's adoption process and I hope for a speedy judgement on your part. Great pics and sounds like things are going your way once you get the traveled eggs to hatch. I had a horrific hatch last time I did it. I don't even wanna talk of those numbers. Keep em going bud. I am game if you find logistical funding through the lions club for the adventure next year. Even have a hammock ready to pitch just need 2 trees.

Just caught up with the adventure. OHH you need more coops do ya.... Pig didn't we have this conversation already???? As for the laws and the free range.. I think its a matter of information flow here in the states, people don't ask the questions they should, and they belive what their told/read. The laws here in the WE THE CORPORATIONS states are meant for them, the corp growers and sellers to make a bigger buck off of the people too busy or uncaring to ask the questions but are trying for a better chicken to feed their family. I doubt we will ever see laws here in the states labeling which are feed GMO products since were the only fools going down that road.

Oz great news about you children's adoption process and I hope for a speedy judgement on your part. Great pics and sounds like things are going your way once you get the traveled eggs to hatch. I had a horrific hatch last time I did it. I don't even wanna talk of those numbers. Keep em going bud. I am game if you find logistical funding through the lions club for the adventure next year. Even have a hammock ready to pitch just need 2 trees.
Good to see you here.

Sorry your last hatch was less than good. I know the feeling only too well. Whoever said dont count your chickens till they hatch was a wise person.

Our next hatch is under a broody. She is high in a nest box so I am going to have to get her down. I may just put a lip on the box to prevent the chicks from jumping out.and bring them all down together

Remember the world is truly wonderful.

No school today for the kids - A typhoon is around the area

Time Condition Temperature Rain Humidity Dew Point Wind
05AM-08AM 25°C Slight Rain
1mm
94% 24°C 19 km/h, gentle breeze, gusting up to 44 km/h from South West
08AM-11AM
26°C Moderate Rain
4mm
88% 23°C 23 km/h, moderate breeze from West
11AM-02PM
26°C Moderate Rain
6mm
91% 24°C 23 km/h, moderate breeze, gusting up to 54 km/h from West
02PM-05PM
24°C Moderate Rain
3mm
94% 23°C 21 km/h, moderate breeze from South West
05PM-08PM
24°C Chance of Shower 95% 23°C 19 km/h, gentle breeze, gusting up to 50 km/h from South West
08PM-11PM
24°C Chance of Shower 95% 23°C 19 km/h, gentle breeze from South West
11PM-02AM
24°C Chance of Shower 94% 23°C 23 km/h, moderate breeze, gusting up to 45 km/h from South West
02AM-05AM
24°C Chance of Shower 95% 23°C 22 km/h, moderate breeze from South West

No school today for the kids - A typhoon is around the area

Time Condition Temperature Rain Humidity Dew Point Wind
05AM-08AM 25°C Slight Rain
1mm
94% 24°C 19 km/h, gentle breeze, gusting up to 44 km/h from South West
08AM-11AM
26°C Moderate Rain
4mm
88% 23°C 23 km/h, moderate breeze from West
11AM-02PM
26°C Moderate Rain
6mm
91% 24°C 23 km/h, moderate breeze, gusting up to 54 km/h from West
02PM-05PM
24°C Moderate Rain
3mm
94% 23°C 21 km/h, moderate breeze from South West
05PM-08PM
24°C Chance of Shower 95% 23°C 19 km/h, gentle breeze, gusting up to 50 km/h from South West
08PM-11PM
24°C Chance of Shower 95% 23°C 19 km/h, gentle breeze from South West
11PM-02AM
24°C Chance of Shower 94% 23°C 23 km/h, moderate breeze, gusting up to 45 km/h from South West
02AM-05AM
24°C Chance of Shower 95% 23°C 22 km/h, moderate breeze from South West
Oz you must watch the barometric pressures. They drop like a stone when the storm is approaching. It looked like you are close to the shore also and the storm can push the waves onshore ahead of it. Be very cautious!

Back
Top Bottom