Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Tomtommom

Tomtommom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL
    Amazing venture and lovely stories. You are enriching the lives of so many, while having fun doing it!

I know a fellah who lives in the Philippines as well, but I hear nothing but bragging about having 'servants' and negativity about the state of social affairs from him. It's nice to hear a similar story but from a much more positive perspective.

Your traveling is exhausting for me to read *laugh* I don't see how you do it! I, myself, immigrated from Europe to the US and know the back and forth thing, but not like you.. I wish you good fortune in all your endeavors.

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Thanks for the concern.

I check the typhoons every day on iTyphoon app. It maps them well.

As we are very close to the equator (9degrees North) we are out of the usual path. We are also on the Western side of the island and they come from the east so those that come our way are normally weakened.

Of course you can never say never but thus far, a typhoon has not been known to cause more than flooding in our area.

Mrs Oz is just south of Manila right now - thats much closer to the Typhoon belt. They get double the rain there as well.

3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Thanks for making it here!

Every now and then I sit in a McDonalds for breakfast in a town called Dumaguete after we sell our Copra. It is full of expatriate Kano (Amerikano/foreigner) who are living in the Philippines. While some are nice people - many are total sleaze buckets chasing prostitutes.

It makes me cringe.

My wife was nervous to tell her family she was in love with a kano but when I asked them for her hand, they sat me down and warned me about her. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I have no clue actually. I am only a few months into adult birds.

I have no Idea how it will play out. The hottest months are April-June. The coolest are Jan - March but the Soltice are the same. In December the days are 11.5 hrs in June 12.5 hrs.

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

This week's Photos

The new coops are on their way

[​IMG]

18 month old coconut trees are replacing our aged trees

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front of the coops is facing the street (due south). Our wind comes in from the North West all year except Nov-Jan when it swings to North/North-East

[​IMG]

The original coop had Mahogany scraps as sidind - this time we are using up some of the milled coconut scraps

[​IMG]

Each coop has 4 egg boxes and a rear access door

1 person likes this.
  7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

The first quail egg

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

These guys will be laying in by Thankgiving

[​IMG]