Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

The brooders are all empty.

The last of the chicks have been moved to the coops and the few quail we have left are in the quail condo.

Time to sterilize the egg house. I believe in overkill.

1st Bleach to kill just about anything

2nd Ammonia (once bleach has dried) to kill cocci left behind

3rd Formaldehyde mixed with Potassium Permanganate to make a gas and then gas and fumigate.

So, last night I was laying in bed, reading and minding my own business, when my dog Sara started a low growl and stared fixedly at my nightstand. I leaned over and looked over the edge of my bed and saw this little fellow coming out from under my bed!

I do not recall inviting him to my slumber party!! Anyway, by the time I found a nice long stick to pin him down with so I could catch him, he had slithered off somewhere and I had to toss my room to find him. I finally found him under my dresser. I got him into a pillowcase and took him outside and turned him loose. He's just a harmless little rat snake, but I object to his presence in my house, never mind under my bed, ESPECIALLY while I'm in it!! Nothing like a snake hunt at 1 a.m. After that I was, of course, wide awake and couldn't sleep until after 4, and still had to get up at my usual time. Hence, I am absolutely tired and worthless right now.

Cheers,
Katja
Oh hes purdy.....

deb

The brooders are all empty.

The last of the chicks have been moved to the coops and the few quail we have left are in the quail condo.

Time to sterilize the egg house. I believe in overkill.

1st Bleach to kill just about anything

2nd Ammonia (once bleach has dried) to kill cocci left behind

3rd Formaldehyde mixed with Potassium Permanganate to make a gas and then gas and fumigate.
Oh my OZ bee sooo careful with stuff like the last....

deb

So, last night I was laying in bed, reading and minding my own business, when my dog Sara started a low growl and stared fixedly at my nightstand. I leaned over and looked over the edge of my bed and saw this little fellow coming out from under my bed!

I do not recall inviting him to my slumber party!! Anyway, by the time I found a nice long stick to pin him down with so I could catch him, he had slithered off somewhere and I had to toss my room to find him. I finally found him under my dresser. I got him into a pillowcase and took him outside and turned him loose. He's just a harmless little rat snake, but I object to his presence in my house, never mind under my bed, ESPECIALLY while I'm in it!! Nothing like a snake hunt at 1 a.m. After that I was, of course, wide awake and couldn't sleep until after 4, and still had to get up at my usual time. Hence, I am absolutely tired and worthless right now.

Cheers,
Katja

Pretty!

lol.png

I'd much rather find that than a big roach/waterbug. I don't like things that move real fast.

Fiance killed two copperheads earlier this year. I wanted to give the headless bodies to the chickens/rooster so they could practice some snake wrangling. He wouldn't let me. *huff*

Yeah, he is a pretty little rat snake. Totally harmless. He just crashed my party, that's all....it's not what a person expects to see coming out from under their bed on a quiet, peaceful evening. He needed to go live outside. End of story.

Quote: I know you know.... how dangerous that stuff can be.... just like Most people know not to mix Bleach and Ammonia together...... I say most. I had a friend once who worked in a Local bar clean up time was 3 am he was squeeging the floor down and the drain stopped up.... So he pourd some DrainO in The water backed up and filled the area he was working and it slopped over the top of his shoes..... He absorbed toxic mix through the skin in his feet.... Felt funny called 911 and woke up in the hospital

deb

Do you know what it was that killed them mate?

We used an off the shelf disinfectant that has very good ratings of 'killing stuff', even MD, which is why we went for it.

Clean very well with soapy water, disinfect and done, providing there is no cross contamination, like walking dirty equipment back into a clean zone it seems to work well.

Can use this stuff for fogging, water supplies, washing equipment and feet.
http://www2.dupont.com/Virkon_S/en_GB/applications/

Here is a table with it's effective range and ratio's.
http://www.lienerts.com.au/content/media/PDF Fact Sheets/Biosecurity Products/NEW Virkon S.pdf

We bought it in little packets for about $12 each I think, but you can buy bulk lots too.

Do you know what it was that killed them mate?

We used an off the shelf disinfectant that has very good ratings of 'killing stuff', even MD, which is why we went for it.

Clean very well with soapy water, disinfect and done, providing there is no cross contamination, like walking dirty equipment back into a clean zone it seems to work well.

Can use this stuff for fogging, water supplies, washing equipment and feet.
http://www2.dupont.com/Virkon_S/en_GB/applications/

Here is a table with it's effective range and ratio's.
http://www.lienerts.com.au/content/media/PDF Fact Sheets/Biosecurity Products/NEW Virkon S.pdf

We bought it in little packets for about $12 each I think, but you can buy bulk lots too.

Virkon is great stuff. So is Oxine,

The reality is bleach will kill just about anything except cocci and ammonia will take care of the Coccidia oocysts if they are around.

The formaldehyde gas is to treat me.

I am not sure what it was that killed them. Its acting like a bacterial infection. If it was ulcerative colitis then the cause of the disease is Clostridium colinum, a spore forming bacterial rod. The spores are tougher to kill but a long wet time with bleach will do it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom