Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

yuckyuck.gif
thanks for the chuckle to start my day!

I woke up excited to see pictures emailed from Analou.

I sent her off to the local town as there was reported to be an internet cafe there. Its 10 minutes from the house instead of a three hour round trip and the tricycle is just 20 cents.

When I opened the email I found pictures.

Dave looks good but not quite what I was looking for
hide.gif

Here are some pics from earlier this week.

I use photos as a way of keeping Bernie and Analou accountable when we are not there for several weeks or months at a time. From the pictures I can see how the property looks, and that they are completing their tasks.

One of those tasks is the copra production. While its not a lot of money for me, the share that I get actually pays Bernies salary. As Bernie gets 40% of the sale price as a bonus, its an important part of his income. It basically doubles it. We sell copra three times a year. The lump sums he gets are huge for a person of his economic level. The motorbike he has in the photo with his son above comes from such bonuses. I can guarantee there are very few gardeners/farm workers in the Philippines that own their own bike.

As it involves scaling 80 ft trees, coconut harvesting can only be done when the trees are dry. Even though we provide him with a harness, I would hate for him to slip. During the wet season he needs to wake up each day and check the trees if we have not had rain for 2 or 3 days then make it a priority of the day. I also have to be cognizant of what tasks I pile on him and encourage him to speak up and tell me if he has things that he deems important but also sometimes Bernie gets a bit distracted by the other goings on and forgets the copra harvesting.

It looks like he is back on track.

I will put 1 ton of this in feed sacks and load it on the trailer to take to the mill.

The price has been slowly climbing this year and is now at $680 dollars a ton. Bernie will make $250 just before Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom