Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

The risks are the same as with most livestock production:

Increasing price of feed
    Decreasing price of finished product
    Disease

A sow that loses a whole litter will wipe out the profits from 2 more.

2. joannefiddler

joannefiddler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sending prayers for safety for all of your relations (human and otherwise) in the path of the storm. Bernie will be busy with storm prep I'm thinking. I sure bet you wish you were there even more at times like these!

3. Lillahimed

Lillahimed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2013
    Sacramento
    I love pigs so much. They are even smarter than dogs.. Well at least my dogs [​IMG]

4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

LOL....

deb

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

indeed. being away from family is very tough but sometimes one has to just have faith that things will be ok.

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Here is the storm surge model. We are on the west side island in the central area that the 10N line passes through

[​IMG]

We should be ok if the course holds true.We should not get more than a meter rise.

rains and winds will be heavy though

[​IMG]

7. Tomtommom

Tomtommom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL
    Oh yes, that's my favorite part... the little grunty noises they make when you rub their back or ear [​IMG]

Oz, y'all will be alright, I know it! Maybe some damage, but nothing Bernie and crew can't handle.

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

the laborers working on fence will stop for a while and board everything up.

there are 50 eggs in the bator that will have to fend for themselves if we lose power. i would rather bernie run security lights than warm eggs if we lose power.

i will be in constant contact unless cell phone goes down

we have 24 hrs to prepare

9. Sweetpea3829

Sweetpea3829 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Our neighbor keeps a few pigs. He raises them from piglets (well, they're a big bigger than piglets) and then in the fall...to the freezer they go! We use to save our scrap food to slop them with...kept a 5 gallon blue bucket (with a lid). Well when we'd walk over there with the blue bucket, they'd see us coming and oh my gosh, the squealing and shouting they'd do!!!

We feed most of our food scraps to the chickens now...I can't remember the last time we slopped the pigs. :-(

10. Tomtommom

Tomtommom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL
    My dogs used to get a lot of scraps... now it goes to the chickens... Poor guys [​IMG] The chickens are closer to the house.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by