Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I probably over did it on the coop.Maybe I should move the chooks out put a for rent shingle on the front. It was meant to be simple with bamboo walls but as its fiesta season, I could not get bamboo - it was all sold to people for making booths to sell at the Sinulog festival. Atleast with the hardwood walls it will last a long long time. I will eventually make its twin facing it, sharing a fence. That will give me room for 120 layers. I have to build bernie and analou a little stuccoed cinder block house first.It will take a year or so to build to that many production birds.

the next few coops will be 4 x 6 row houses for our purebreds if i can do it again. I am hoping I can take 18 eggs of seven different breeds next time. Orpingtons, Cochins, Australorps, Marans, Polish, Aracaunas and Rhode Islands are currently on the top of the list. If I get the same hatch rate there will be about 35 hens and lots of big roasters - and a good start on seeing how the market takes to breeding pairs.

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    ohhhh you are soooo going to have to hire a chicken manager!!!

3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I could pay you room and board, 100 dollars a month and all the free sunrises and sets you can watch.

Just let me know when to start building your coop.... I mean house.

Seriously though - if anyone is adventurous enough to come and play with chickens and watch a sunrise, I will have a cold San Miguel beer waiting.

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

[​IMG]

anybody like that squishy feeling between your toes?

5. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I'm not sure who's craziest you who drove willy nilly picking up eggs to pack in a golf bag for a bumpy ride over the ocean, all so you could make your island paradise a little more improved....

Or crazy me who found this thread as I laid down for bed tonight and had to read the whole thing. Lol

Cant wait to hear what the locals say about green eggs.
    bet you go with cochineal for your broodies...more eggs will fit
    Don't forget to build a broody coop & run
    enjoyed playing where's Waldo (polish mix) with the chick pics
    Save a beer for me...I claim the third nest box from the left.
    Thanks for the bedtime story..it was worth the sleep deprivation..subscribing
    no sleep for the wicked.

Ps...that frog was under my bed last summer and will add you and Mrs oz to my prayers for a less stressful and speedy completion of the adoption

Hugs

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

The whole world is crazy except you and me....and I am not really sure about you [​IMG]

Thanks for the kind words. I loved the "where's waldo" analogy - I thought the same thing as I was searching for him.

7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Here are a few pics of the underwater life in our area. Mrs Oz and I are avid scuba divers. We are delighted that our two kids possess fish like attributes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Fantastic!!! How lucky you are to scuba dive and snorkel in such a great place. We do it from time to time in Oz and it seems to gladden the heart to see such amazing sights.

Your kids are having a great life-education too, I bet they can swim like anything.

Looking forward to more pics!

Katrina

9. ZakoHero

ZakoHero Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2013
    Algeria
    WOW!!I LOVE THOSE PICS!!You are so lucky that you can go scuba diving there..
    P.S What camrea do you use?

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by