Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    My Coop
  2. Rockashelle

Rockashelle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Snohomish, WA
    So if he is now an addict, does that make you a chick dealer or a chick pusher? :D
  3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Cortunix are a good choice for meat you can eat them at 6 weeks but I find they tend to fill out especally the girls if you give them another few weeks but its up to you. They also lay well so if you always have 4 hens and a roo you will always have eggs to eat, feed back to them for protien and calcuium and to hatch whenever you want more birds.In 10 days you can get at least 30 eggs so you could hatch a new meat supply from your few little birds every 10 days if you wanted to.
  4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

or eat the eggs!.. they make really good pickled eggs as well as being used in gourmet cooking!
  5. Bulldogma

Bulldogma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    Good golly! That is the most amazing view... the ocean, the palm trees - - I would never, ever get tired of looking at that!

Your chicks look great! What a wonderful assortment of fluffy-butts! And your coop! Wow! You have some very lucky chooks there!
  6. 3Dchicken

3Dchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    Yay! Your chicks and coop are awesome!!!
  7. CaraDD

CaraDD Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    Dry side of Oregon
    I really like the green netting! Is that something specific to the island or did you take it in? Everything just looks GREAT! And thank you again for sharing your adventure.
  8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

thanks. that short morning twighlight is the best time of the day. the wind is calm, the sea is flat, when the volcano is out of the clouds its priceless
  9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

its local. its 1m high and 30m long rolls - 39 inches x 100ft and costs about 50 dollars. its polyester and is the only thing to stave off rust
  10. OffGridMAMA

OffGridMAMA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    valley center, CA

Local byc gal has offered auracauna eggs :) very colorful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by