I guess if you want the rite results you have to start off by doing things rite

piggy

Additional Duties for week commencing April 6, 2014

Pigs 7-9 need vaccination this week
2cc Rhini Shield TX4 SQ
2cc Tetanus CDT SQ
1cc Myco Shield SQ

Use scale to weigh pigs 4-9 report
Use tape measure in inches to measure girth behind front leg and length from top of neck to tail in pigs 1-3 and 20.
Calculate G x G x L / 180 to get weight in KG. Report.

Arrange COD delivery of 6 rice bran and 1 fish meal for April 11. Add 4 more feeders to the delivery please.

The birds in Coop A need their second dose of Coryza vaccine
0.5ml Poulvac
00ae.png
Coryza ABC IC3 SQ – pinch up skin at base of neck and inject up from just above between the wings. Use a 3ml syringe and ¾” needle – 6 birds per syringe.

Musical Coops
We need to make space for chicks ready to leave the brooders
Get all the chicks in coop 1 and place in a box. Clean out the rice husks and clean feeder. Replace rice husks.
Move the adult birds in coop A into coop 1. Clean out the rice husks and clean feeder. Replace rice husks.
Place chicks from coop 1 and coop 2 in Coop A. Clean out the rice husks and clean feeder in Coop 2. Replace rice husks.
Move the chicks in the 2 small sections of the large metal sided brooder into coop 2
Mix 1 tsp of vitamin and electrolyte in 4 liters of water and put it in the waterers for the chicks now in Coop A and Coop 2 as a stress boost.
Count the birds in each coop and report.

Guinea Shed
Have Dominic and Alfred finish converting the breezeway between coops 5-6 into the guinea shed. It does not need a floor but the perimeter needs hollow blocks under the coco lumber. It should have 4 roosts for the birds and a couple of pieces of scrap plywood up against the back wall like a lean-to where the hens can lay eggs in privacy.

Grow-Out Free Range Pen
The Amacan (woven bamboo shhets is for a bamboo framed bahay kubo (thatched roof hut) temporary shelter for the growing birds. The structure should be in the same basic shape as duck shed but be 10ft deep and 15ft wide. It should have 6 roosts 15ft long. The only coco lumber should be in the door. 2 Noceco posts can be the door frame.

The back wall should be level with the wall of the egg house with a netting area extending to the other side of the goat house and level with its fence. It should be as wide as possible – three feet from the nursery area. The 18 feet wide netting should be cut in half to make it 9 feet. Use the narrow ends of the bamboo from the pig roof for posts. It does not need a netting roof.

The bigger the area the more free ranging and less feed we will use.

Target completion 4/15

Pump shed

Bahay kubo

Netted area

Egg house

goat house
You, my dear OZ, are one busy guy!!

Scott

I am not the busy one. Mrs Oz is the champ.

630pm pst Monday is 930 am Tues there. They started at 7am

The Alfred on the list stayed home sick this week - thats another way to give notice of quitting - but he says he will be back next week. We shall see.

So Mrs Oz and Dominic are doing it all. It looks like we are going to have a complete change of staff - including construction workers. They are related to Aljay and all no-shows Monday and Tuesday. As Dominic and Ging are from Kabankalan, we sent Ging of to bring back her brother to help out till we get the student selected. We would like to take our time selecting the right candidate.

I was not involved with our pigs previously. Dom told Mrs Oz that the pig that died from infection on his shift was brought in by boar. He was also very comfortable injecting chickens and pigs. He has worked on farms with both.

2cc Rhini Shield TX4 SQ
2cc Tetanus CDT SQ
1cc Myco Shield SQ

Use tape measure in inches to measure girth behind front leg and length from top of neck to tail in pigs 1-3 and 20.

Arrange COD delivery of 6 rice bran and 1 fish meal for April 11. Add 4 more feeders to the delivery please.

0.5ml Poulvac® Coryza ABC IC3 SQ – pinch up skin at base of neck and inject up from just above between the wings. Use a 3ml syringe and ¾” needle – 6 birds per syringe.

Musical Coops

Get all the chicks in coop 1 and place in a box. Clean out the rice husks and clean feeder. Replace rice husks.
Move the adult birds in coop A into coop 1. Clean out the rice husks and clean feeder. Replace rice husks.
Place chicks from coop 1 and coop 2 in Coop A. Clean out the rice husks and clean feeder in Coop 2. Replace rice husks.
Move the chicks in the 2 small sections of the large metal sided brooder into coop 2
Mix 1 tsp of vitamin and electrolyte in 4 liters of water and put it in the waterers for the chicks now in Coop A and Coop 2 as a stress boost.

Guinea Shed

Have Dominic and Alfred finish converting the breezeway between coops 5-6 into the guinea shed. It does not need a floor but the perimeter needs hollow blocks under the coco lumber. It should have 4 roosts for the birds and a couple of pieces of scrap plywood up against the back wall like a lean-to where the hens can lay eggs in privacy.

Grow-Out Free Range Pen

The Amacan (woven bamboo shhets is for a bamboo framed bahay kubo (thatched roof hut) temporary shelter for the growing birds. The structure should be in the same basic shape as duck shed but be 10ft deep and 15ft wide. It should have 6 roosts 15ft long. The only coco lumber should be in the door. 2 Noceco posts can be the door frame.

The back wall should be level with the wall of the egg house with a netting area extending to the other side of the goat house and level with its fence. It should be as wide as possible – three feet from the nursery area. The 18 feet wide netting should be cut in half to make it 9 feet. Use the narrow ends of the bamboo from the pig roof for posts. It does not need a netting roof.

Target completion 4/15

Last edited:
Additional Duties for week commencing April 6, 2014

2cc Rhini Shield TX4 SQ
2cc Tetanus CDT SQ
1cc Myco Shield SQ

0.5ml Poulvac
00ae.png
Coryza ABC IC3 SQ – pinch up skin at base of neck and inject up from just above between the wings. Use a 3ml syringe and ¾” needle – 6 birds per syringe.

Musical Coops

Guinea Shed

Grow-Out Free Range Pen

Target completion 4/15

Pump shed

Bahay kubo

Netted area

Egg house

goat house
OK I was thinking I was LOOSING MY MIND.... What I saw was titles for pictures.... Not a map..... Slapping my forehead.... sheesh.
Good job Oz....

deb "Now where did I leave that nice jacket You know with the arms that tie behind my back...."

OK I was thinking I was LOOSING MY MIND.... What I saw was titles for pictures.... Not a map..... Slapping my forehead.... sheesh.
Good job Oz....

deb "Now where did I leave that nice jacket You know with the arms that tie behind my back...."
i used a table in word but the borders dont show up

sorry to make that brain think a bit harder but well done for figuring it out

Its 2 am here in SoCal. The 5PM whistle just blew in the Philippines.

2cc Rhini Shield TX4 SQ
2cc Tetanus CDT SQ
1cc Myco Shield SQ

0.5ml Poulvac® Coryza ABC IC3 SQ – pinch up skin at base of neck and inject up from just above between the wings. Use a 3ml syringe and ¾” needle – 6 birds per syringe.

Musical Coops

Not a bad day's effort

coop 1 has the 6-8 week old chicks

coop 2 has the 3-5 week old chicks

This will become the guinea coop - freeing up coop 3 for the hundred chicks turning 3 weeks on sunday as the next big hatch occurs

This weeks hatch.

Last weeks hatch

Last edited:
Preparing for the big hatch this weekend - imagine having 200 eggs and instructing your significant other how to hatch them

here goes......

To avoid confusion when we communicate via whats app, the incubators should be numbered.

1 - The large double doored incubator with turner.

2 - The cabinet incubator with the plexiglass front

3 - The display incubator with the plexiglass top.

The brooders should be lettered.

The large one with GI sheet

A- the 1st small section
B- the 2nd small section
C- the 3rd large section

The Quail brooder

D -the quail brooder section furthest from the exit
E- the quail brooder section closest to the exit.

Currently the only incubating eggs should be in incubator 1. They need to be turned three times a day. The goose eggs on the bottom need to be hand turned three times a day.

any other eggs should be disposed of. Incubators 2 and 3 need to be wiped out with bleach solution.

All baskets need to be wiped down or soaked in bleach solution (1 cup bleach to one gallon of water)

the shipped chicken eggs in the incubator are all together. Bernie may have set another clutch with markings on the side in a seperate tray. check and see if he wrote dates on them.

the shipped eggs are due to hatch this coming weekend. They should go into lockdown on thursday afternoon.

At 2 pm turn on the incubators 2 and 3 to allow them to warm.

For incubator 2 there are three shelves labeled 1,2,3

For incubator 3, Label the small baskets A-F. Label the larger baskets H-K. We should only need baskets A-F for the shipped eggs. Any local eggs can go in basket H.

Based in the PDF file you printed - place the eggs in the corresponding baskets. I designed the placement so that we can recognize the breeds both as chicks and adults. Note that many different breeds of chicks hatch close to the same coloring and its really hard to tell them apart if they get mixed. When that occurs it takes up to 16 weeks to be able to tell them apart.

As an example basket 1 (in the incubator 2) will have Marans and Swedish Flower hen eggs - these breeds are very different. Basket F (in incubator 3) has Black Bresse. If mixed with the Marans it could be very hard to tell them apart as they both hatch as black with white breasts.

The local eggs will be mixed but I know them well enough to recognize the breeds.

Its ok to keep the eggs out of the incubator for about 30 minutes while you sort - the mother gets off the nest to poop and eat so it is not so different. Saying that, Its good to have several people - one getting the tray out of the incubator and closing the door, One marking off the breed and the other putting them in the hatcher. As soon as all the eggs designated for that basket are assembled, it should go in the incubator.

in incubator 3, try not to put any eggs under the flood light.Using the six small baskets and one large one, you should be fine.

incubator 3 should not need any water but please put an ice cream container with water in the bottom of incubator 2.

Do not open the incubators until Monday at 6am.remove all dry chicks and loosely leg band them with the corresponding zip tie.

As you transfer them to the brooder - dip their beak in some water.

the remaining local eggs, turkey and geese do not go into lockdown for another week.

The good thing is Mrs Oz is a smart and determined woman

Back
Top Bottom