Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

So sorry to hear about the scours but I'm glad you got it all handled in short order. Horray for huge quail hatch!! After the last time I'm sure you were a little leary so it warms my heart to know they are doing well with the new set up. Hoping for stopping of the rain and wind so everything can get back to normal over at coco beach!

So sorry to hear about the scours but I'm glad you got it all handled in short order. Horray for huge quail hatch!! After the last time I'm sure you were a little leary so it warms my heart to know they are doing well with the new set up. Hoping for stopping of the rain and wind so everything can get back to normal over at coco beach!

The trials and tribulations of a back yard farmer.

All is good.

We have successes and set-backs. Its just a case of learning from the set backs and not letting it dishearten you.

The rain will clear, the roof will be repaired, the pigs will poop normally and those **** quail will grow up and lay around 50 eggs a day. If they dont, the next batch will.

I guess I was off a tad.

We have had 6 pip zip and hatch while everyone was working on the roof. 2 Australorps 2 Cuckoo Marans 2 Red Sex Links pullets. All the same SoCal supplier. More Cuckoo Marans, the last SL and some shipped buff orps have pipped.

I have fingers crossed for the 2 other Australorps and I have some pullets amongst them!!

Oy Vey, its going to be a long night!

We got our first egg today!!!! WHOOHOOOO!!! A lovely greenish-blue egg. I should be able to tell its true color during the daylight tomorrow, lol. Our interior lighting kind of throws a funky color. Good size, and it was in good shape, considering it was her first egg!

Course, the hen didn't use the nest box. She laid it right on the ground next to the ramp to go outside, lol. Fingers crossed we'll start having at least one egg a day! And fingers crossed they start using the nest box. I put a grocery store egg in each box...maybe they'll get the right idea, lol!

We got our first egg today!!!! WHOOHOOOO!!! A lovely greenish-blue egg. I should be able to tell its true color during the daylight tomorrow, lol. Our interior lighting kind of throws a funky color. Good size, and it was in good shape, considering it was her first egg!

Course, the hen didn't use the nest box. She laid it right on the ground next to the ramp to go outside, lol. Fingers crossed we'll start having at least one egg a day! And fingers crossed they start using the nest box. I put a grocery store egg in each box...maybe they'll get the right idea, lol!

the first egg is a great day'

congrats!!

That's awesome, if you worry about the novice layer breaking those eggs, switch to a golf ball, works just as well and won't break :)
not to change the subject, but I keep wanting to ask you and forget, your incubator egg turner motor, do you know how many eggs or push pull that motor has? can you give an est dimentions you wouldnt go over? we are debating getting a huge cooler for another coolerbator but I so want an egg turner this time and wondering if one motor could do the lot or if I need to sections with 2 motors. Thank you!

adding when I go to your profile page the links to your bator are gone. I have to go searching for your posts to refer back to it. I will assume because its listed in siggy as photo albums? byc albums are screwy sometimes! anyway, thanks for sharing your journey too! you sir are one devoted chicken keeper!

Thanks Sally, very humbling to hear that from someone as experienced as you.

I will edit my sig with links to make it easier to find. The article has the dimensions on there. The motor has pushed a rack full of eggs (about 30) without worry about power or torque. I have had more issues with the carriage sliding nicely and different sized eggs. Last hatch we got 47 eggs in there but we could not use the turner, I ended up removing the rack and going to egg cartons (side to side tilt) as it was taking too long to manually turn 47 eggs.

A bit more refinement and not overloaded at it would work perfectly.

Max loaded and turner disconnected

Once the clears were removed and just alternating the egg cartons.

Feel free to PM me if I can offer anything else.

Back
Top Bottom