Getting tired of rudeness....

an explanation to the original poster, and its generational.

Culturally, we are in our second generation where facts don't matter. The first generation was taught that all opinions were valid, without regard for the underlying facts, and the current generation is being taught that motive matters more than anything else, championing even lies so long as they are for good purpose. While certainly not true of every member of the most recent generations, its been a theme in teaching and the media. Logic and Rhetoric are hardly taught at all anymore.

Without agreement as to facts, finding agreement as to what conclusions to draw from those facts is increasingly challenging.

and anonymity (on the internet and elsewhere) tends to result in a lowering of social filters. Whether or no there are consequences for one's statements (here, they are few). Add the stresses of the past decade+, and... a general degradation in the quality of discourse and the social lubricant of mutual respect is evident everywhere.

**my opinion only**

Last edited:
an explanation to the original poster, and its generational.

Culturally, we are in our second generation where facts don't matter. The first generation was taught that all opinions were valid, without regard for the underlying facts, and the current generation is being taught that motive matters more than anything else. While certainly not true of every member of the most recent generations, its certainly been a theme in teaching and the media. Logic and Rhetoric are hardly taught at all anymore.

Without agreement as to facts, finding agreement as to what conclusions to draw from those facts is increasingly challenging.

and anonymity (on the internet and elsewhere) tends to result in a lowering of social filters. Whether or no there are consequences for one's statements (here, they are few). Add the stresses of the past decade+, and... a general degradation in the quality of discourse and the social lubricant of mutual respect is evident everywhere.

**my opinion only**
That does make sense. I hadn't thought of it like that.

I love BYC always have and i understand we all have different levels of experience and opinons and know im not always right but lately people just seemed to be so rude dismissing everything been said and to be honest im getting quite sick of it makes me wonder if i want to stay here tbh
Obviously not everyone loads of you are great and helpful just the odd few that feel they know better then anyone else and are paticularly rude
Rant over
Sam xx
That attitude is everywhere, you cannot escape it. Do not give away your power and control by letting them drive you away. Stand your ground, never back down. They're just bullies that arent smart enough to realize people arent born with this knowledge, it must be aquired.

Dearest Sam,

I could go on and on about the wonderful things my mother taught me as I was growing up. However this one she “taught” me when she was well into her 70s.

As usual, her wit came through loud and clear. And while she claimed one day she would buy a tshirt with the remark, she never did. Here’s the quote:

“I’m not deaf. I’m ignoring you”

I think we need an emoticon that gets the point across. Moderators? Any chance?

That does make sense. I hadn't thought of it like that.

I remind myself often that, however valuable that insight may be in describing large groups and broad demographics, it is utterly useless as guidance into the actions of an individual.

Sort of like the mobs torching cars after a football game - the vast majority of the participants would never even consider such a thing as individuals in their day today lives. But get the emotions up, add a heavy dose of anonymity, and they may find themselves participating in things which would otherwise be unimaginable to them.

It’s okay to agree to disagree. No matter the ridiculous expression and vehement denials from my kid! :)
I have taught him better, but it just hasn’t sunk in yet.
In all honesty though, I’ve had more rudeness and “I’m right no matter what and you’re stupid if you don’t agree” from boomers than from younger people.

While I have also experienced plenty of rudeness on here it is easy to forget that in text there is no tone therefore there is no clear intention. It is easy to come across as blunt (guilty here) and harsh and rude. Just a thought. Emoji's go a long way

Guilty. Not wired right, my pronouncements of opinion tend to be direct and lacking in social niceties. I make efforts at maintaining the illusion of decent human being, not always successful.

I can explain, but its not important. Ultimately, I'm responsible for me, I'd just be describing the path that lead here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom