Getting to know you…..

Ajoy1955

Songster
Jul 1, 2023
Greeneville Tennessee
I just recently added three 14 week old pullets to my existing 2 year old laying hens , they have been separated through a poultry fence barrier, and sleeping in the smaller coop, this Saturday (July 8) will be three weeks, is this long enough to keep separated before integrating , or should I go one more week ? This will be a new adventure for me adding new chickens to an existing flock! Thanks for all your feedback!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
I will say it depends.
Are the adults totally ignoring them?

All you can do is try it and be ready to separate if things get to drawing blood.
At first the adults were stressed about the littles, but this week , they are being ignored, the adults are going about their daily business, I make sure to give treats so that they can eat together with the separation of the poultry fence…

If you take down/open the divider maybe add more obstacles so anyone giving chase has interference. I would roll a section back so it would be easy to reset if needed.
Having extra feeders and water dishes is always a good idea along with extra run clutter so nervous birds can get out of the line of sight of the adults.
Think a pallet or piece of plywood stood on edge or leaned up. Definitely secure anything like that so it can't get knocked or blown over.

If you take down/open the divider maybe add more obstacles so anyone giving chase has interference. I would roll a section back so it would be easy to reset if needed.
Having extra feeders and water dishes is always a good idea along with extra run clutter so nervous birds can get out of the line of sight of the adults.
Think a pallet or piece of plywood stood on edge or leaned up. Definitely secure anything like that so it can't get knocked or blown over.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    933.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    942.2 KB · Views: 6
I know what to do my concern is .. have I allowed sufficient amount of time to allow them to get to know one another? It will be three weeks this Saturday
There's no real way to know this for sure, and even if it is long enough it'll be a different story once the newcomers 'invade' the existing birds territory.

Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

I know what to do my concern is .. have I allowed sufficient amount of time to allow them to get to know one another? It will be three weeks this Saturday

It's impossible to truly know. For some birds a year isn't enough time and for others a day is enough.
From just the one picture it was hard to tell if you had enough clutter. Your set up looks pretty good from the additional pictures.

Back
Top Bottom