Getting Young Goldens

Jack Scarecrow

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 12, 2014
I have finally found someone who might be selling Red Golden Pheasants (got eggs in hatcher atm). They will be sold faily young however guessing betwen 1-2month.
Is there any way to see the gender at that age? Will the ''teardrop'' you can see on newly hatched chicks still be there? I am guessing the eye colour haven't started changing at that age?
Also what would be concidered the ''safe'' age to buy them? As they will cost quite a bit i wouldn't want to get them too young where they are still at risk just randomly dying.

They say you can sex them from hatching by the iris around the eye,the male is cream or blue hen is brown,but I don't believe in this method.If you want a pair it's best to buy a guarenteed pair.Fall birds go for around 50.00 a pair,but if you have to ship them in that will cost a lot,I'm guessing around 100.00 just for shipping.Where are you located?Maybe I can find someone near you so you can pick them up.Be sure to look at the parents and see if there are any signs of crossing.im sure they all mostly crosses,but there are a few that keep them pure.
In N.H.,Tony.

I have finally found someone who might be selling Red Golden Pheasants (got eggs in hatcher atm). They will be sold faily young however guessing betwen 1-2month.
Is there any way to see the gender at that age? Will the ''teardrop'' you can see on newly hatched chicks still be there? I am guessing the eye colour haven't started changing at that age?
Also what would be concidered the ''safe'' age to buy them? As they will cost quite a bit i wouldn't want to get them too young where they are still at risk just randomly dying.
if you are looking for a “safe” age for purchase, I would say 4 weeks+ based on my experience with ringneck chicks.....but still not easily sexable at this age but i’m guessing that if all from same hatch, you are not overly concerned with genders???

But the eye colour change wont happen until they are 3-4 months as far as i read?
And yes i want atleast a pair but these are what i have found, And i was thinking of buying 4-5 of them which should result in atleast a pair. Of course gender matters. Wouldn't want to end up with only males. Only females would be more OK as males are alot easier to buy as ''singles''. But best would be 1 male and a few females.
I live in sweden so you probably wont be able to help me out getting any:) They cost about 50 euros per bird here.
And yes i will look closely to try see that they dont seem to be hybrids.
I also do prefer that they will be young and machine hatched as i do not want to get any diseases into my other birds and older pairs might have something ''wrong'' with them like not laying, not giving fertile eggs etc and that's why they get sold. So feel alot safer taking young ones.

But the eye colour change wont happen until they are 3-4 months as far as i read?
And yes i want atleast a pair but these are what i have found, And i was thinking of buying 4-5 of them which should result in atleast a pair. Of course gender matters. Wouldn't want to end up with only males. Only females would be more OK as males are alot easier to buy as ''singles''. But best would be 1 male and a few females.
I live in sweden so you probably wont be able to help me out getting any:) They cost about 50 euros per bird here.
And yes i will look closely to try see that they dont seem to be hybrids.
I also do prefer that they will be young and machine hatched as i do not want to get any diseases into my other birds and older pairs might have something ''wrong'' with them like not laying, not giving fertile eggs etc and that's why they get sold. So feel alot safer taking young ones.
The 'tear drop'/ wattle, will be easier to see at 1 to 2 months. The Ruff pheasants can be sexed at hatch by looking for the wattle. Just remember if getting them from 1 breeder increases the likelyhood that they will be brother and sister! You'll need to find another source/breeder to decrease the chance of inbreeding, if you plan on breeding them.

Here's a couple of pics showing the 'tear drop' on a day old male and a pic of a day old female. The last 2 pic's is of a 1 month old, with the tear drop enclosed in red ring.
20180527_011813-1.jpg

Day old Golden male
20180527_012010-1.jpg

Day old Golden female *notice lack of tear drop
pheasants 026.jpg

1 month old Golden male
pheasants 0002.JPG

1 month old Golden male, tear drop circled in red.

Thanks. He does got more pairs and yes they are most likely related or siblings. But well they aren't easy to get in my country so it's a start. Can probably find a single male somewhere else in the future to mix in.

Back
Top Bottom