Ghost barring project

Most popular characteristic will make it into the final “breed”!

• Feathered feet

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Five toes

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Bantam size

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Gray skin

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Beard

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Crest

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Extra long tail

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Unusual egg color

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Speckled eggs

Votes: 9 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, I'd say the hatchery version of a white Plymouth Rock or a Rhode Island White (the latter would give you dominant white.) They are more heavy set and the earlobes are definitely red.

I crossed a California grey too to a partridge Plymouth Rock hen I got a beautiful roo with brown/brown grey barring and some black speckles in it I sold it so I don’t have a pic but really cool coloring

Yeah, I'd say the hatchery version of a white Plymouth Rock or a Rhode Island White (the latter would give you dominant white.) They are more heavy set and the earlobes are definitely red.
I figured, at least that they probably weren’t leghorns.
I crossed a California grey too to a partridge Plymouth Rock hen I got a beautiful roo with brown/brown grey barring and some black speckles in it I sold it so I don’t have a pic but really cool coloring
Noodles barring isn’t grey but actually a tan/ very light brown color. It’s kinda hard to tell from the photos.

Okay, so I have an update to make to this thread, we currently are brooding turkeys, guineas, and chickens. We are finally starting to move them around, which means by winter I can finally start the breeding project and by next hatching season I’ll be able to produce some first gen. cross chicks. I’m not sure what I’ll get, but hopefully I can produce more of these. Sorry it’s been taking so long to get this project up and running, noodles is doing good, also some of the chicks we’re almost done brooding will be helpful for the bonus poll feature. @MysteryChicken @All4Eggz @PippinTheChicken @Amer @NatJ @RoostersAreAwesome @ChickenWhisperer101

Okay, so I have an update to make to this thread, we currently are brooding turkeys, guineas, and chickens. We are finally starting to move them around, which means by winter I can finally start the breeding project and by next hatching season I’ll be able to produce some first gen. cross chicks. I’m not sure what I’ll get, but hopefully I can produce more of these. Sorry it’s been taking so long to get this project up and running, noodles is doing good, also some of the chicks we’re almost done brooding will be helpful for the bonus poll feature. @MysteryChicken @All4Eggz @PippinTheChicken @Amer @NatJ @RoostersAreAwesome @ChickenWhisperer101
@MysteryChicken @All4Eggz @PippinTheChicken @Amer @NatJ @RoostersAreAwesome @ChickenWhisperer101

Alright new update!
Obvious thing first; this is from a different account. unfortunately after I switched phones I couldn’t get my old one back, so I will be providing updates on here from now on.

Second things second, new noodle update pictures! He is completely grown now, which is sad in a way because his beautiful barring is now somewhat hidden but by all means is still there.
1831CDD5-5921-4054-8A64-6C821D6FF315.jpeg
55B23DAC-26F4-426D-9C9C-525E851BF8DC.jpeg
4F398A7C-19A5-4583-B907-CC50680221FA.jpeg
AFC77E24-DF51-42D3-8436-D4C8A033CDA1.jpeg
BA060205-219A-43DF-BB3D-3840EB309520.jpeg

And lastly, moving forward I’m unsure of how this breeding project will be moving forward. While I do quite like noodles, I believe it would probably be in my best interest to use his father or brother and cross them with white hens instead to get some ghost barred hens. I might move forward with noodles in a different way though. I will probably select my hens with the “special” traits (the ones on the poll) and hatch from those until I have accumulated enough hens to start breeding ghost barring to ghost barring. I will be acquiring some chicks this year that will help with this, but till then I’ll work with what I’ve got.

@MysteryChicken @All4Eggz @PippinTheChicken @Amer @NatJ @RoostersAreAwesome @ChickenWhisperer101

Alright new update!
Obvious thing first; this is from a different account. unfortunately after I switched phones I couldn’t get my old one back, so I will be providing updates on here from now on.

Second things second, new noodle update pictures! He is completely grown now, which is sad in a way because his beautiful barring is now somewhat hidden but by all means is still there.View attachment 3052554View attachment 3052555View attachment 3052558View attachment 3052559View attachment 3052560
And lastly, moving forward I’m unsure of how this breeding project will be moving forward. While I do quite like noodles, I believe it would probably be in my best interest to use his father or brother and cross them with white hens instead to get some ghost barred hens. I might move forward with noodles in a different way though. I will probably select my hens with the “special” traits (the ones on the poll) and hatch from those until I have accumulated enough hens to start breeding ghost barring to ghost barring. I will be acquiring some chicks this year that will help with this, but till then I’ll work with what I’ve got.

Alright new update!

Second things second, new noodle update pictures! He is completely grown now, which is sad in a way because his beautiful barring is now somewhat hidden but by all means is still there.View attachment 3052554View attachment 3052555View attachment 3052558View attachment 3052559View attachment 3052560
He’s looking great!
Excited to see how things will turn out :pop

Alright new update!

Thanks for the update! I agree, the barring is very challenging to see.

Alright new update!

@MysteryChicken @All4Eggz @PippinTheChicken @Amer @NatJ @RoostersAreAwesome

I think the polls for the special traits are pretty much done, so, with that, I can solidify my pairing plans.

I’ll be pairing my barred rock rooster with black Cochins, black Sumatras, silver duckwing phoenixes, and some filler hens to keep the ratio good. Then cross those ect. ect. I might also outcross with a black pekin rooster I have if the feathered feet need improvement, and keep breeding and culling until I’m satisfied.

On the other side of things, I’ll be pairing a white ameraucana Rooster with white leghorn hens to get egg color, dominant white, and improve egg laying.

After oh so long of doing this, once I have 5-10 ‘sop’ meeting hens and 1 ‘sop’ meeting rooster for each group I’ll switch the roosters and breed the resulting chicks to each other until the true ‘sop’ of my breeding project is created.

Finally, what is the ‘sop’ description for my breed, and what will it be called? I’ve been wanting to unveil the name for my breed for quite some time, but I wanted to wait until I had finally decided on what it would look like to say definitively. I wanted the name to be interesting, but not sound like a name you’d see at a bath and bodyworks. So, after thinking on it for a while I’ve decided. The name I’ve settled on is ghostbar chickens, which is really only a fancy version of what I’ve been calling them this whole time , but I figured they needed a proper name.
30581CD9-DCEB-410B-A1AF-015036CD652C.png
here’s a sketch of them.They’ll be the approximate size of leghorns, and have about the same build. The tail will be medium set, not squirrelly, but I don’t want it to be low set either. Depending on how much the ameraucana’s effect them, They might end up bearded chickens but that wouldn’t be the worst. They’ll lay blue eggs, and have feathered feet. Their tail will be longer, hopefully at least to the ground. That’s about all I have for this update, until next time.

Back
Top Bottom