giant homemade nipple waterer question

MetalSmitten

Songster
9 Years
Apr 11, 2010
bloomington, indiana
So I was thinkin, with winter coming up here it sure is annoying to keep the waterers full (even heated waterers, because we can't use a frozen hose). And the thought occurred to me, would it be possible to attach nipple waterers to a large metal trash can or barrel (so, 20 gallons up to 55 gal) ? That way, we'd have to fill it far less frequently, and we could put a pond heater into the water to keep it from freezing. But I have no experience with the nipple waterers, I don't know if they could handle a larger amount of water pressure? And would having the water heated keep the nipples from freezing? Also, do they have to be mounted on the very bottom of a container, or could they possibly be mounted on the sides near the bottom (so, parallel to the ground instead of perpendicular)? Anyone with experience? Thanks in advance
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I've done it with a 55 gallon drum, except I attached a 4 foot length of PVC to the barrel and put the nipple in the PVC. Worked great. I imagine putting them directly into the bottom of the barrel would work just as well.

Quote:
Thank you!
smile.png
It's reassuring to hear that it's been done before with success. Is there any reason why you attached the PVC piping instead of hooking the nipples directly to the drum? Did it freeze over winter?

You're welcome! I had the barrel outside the run, so the PVC brought the water into the run. The whole thing would freeze up in winter, never put a heater in it. Everything was just fine when it thawed out again.

Being such a small device with such a small outlet for water, I think the nipples will be difficult to keep from freezing. All depends on your situation of course...how cold you get and how much effort you want to put into anti-freezing tactics
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom