giant homemade nipple waterer question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MetalSmitten, Oct 4, 2011.

1. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    So I was thinkin, with winter coming up here it sure is annoying to keep the waterers full (even heated waterers, because we can't use a frozen hose). And the thought occurred to me, would it be possible to attach nipple waterers to a large metal trash can or barrel (so, 20 gallons up to 55 gal) ? That way, we'd have to fill it far less frequently, and we could put a pond heater into the water to keep it from freezing. But I have no experience with the nipple waterers, I don't know if they could handle a larger amount of water pressure? And would having the water heated keep the nipples from freezing? Also, do they have to be mounted on the very bottom of a container, or could they possibly be mounted on the sides near the bottom (so, parallel to the ground instead of perpendicular)? Anyone with experience? Thanks in advance [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    I am thinking that may be too much water pressure....

Here are some heaters that you may want to look at... Water heaters

3. MetalSmitten

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    I have a heater [​IMG] I just don't know if the nipples would work on something that large. Have you tried anything bigger than a 5gal?

4. mstrrlm

mstrrlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    I have seen them on 5 gallons drums

5. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
  6. MetalSmitten

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    I know they can go on a 5gal... I'm wanting to use them on 20-55, not sure if they'd work for that.

7. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    like if you built an stand higher then the chickens and sat the can on that then put the thingies on the bottom they can go underneath and drink Its worth an try

8. j3707

j3707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Quote:I've done it with a 55 gallon drum, except I attached a 4 foot length of PVC to the barrel and put the nipple in the PVC. Worked great. I imagine putting them directly into the bottom of the barrel would work just as well.

9. MetalSmitten

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    Quote:Thank you! [​IMG] It's reassuring to hear that it's been done before with success. Is there any reason why you attached the PVC piping instead of hooking the nipples directly to the drum? Did it freeze over winter?

10. j3707

j3707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    You're welcome! I had the barrel outside the run, so the PVC brought the water into the run. The whole thing would freeze up in winter, never put a heater in it. Everything was just fine when it thawed out again.

Being such a small device with such a small outlet for water, I think the nipples will be difficult to keep from freezing. All depends on your situation of course...how cold you get and how much effort you want to put into anti-freezing tactics [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by