Giant Lav Cochin Project - Deadline for Helpers Closed

greenfamilyfarms

Big Pippin'
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Elizabethtown, NC
We have finally gotten our Giant (Large Fowl) Lavender Cochin project underway, but we are still in the beginning phases. I am looking for a few (2-3) willing and organized BYC members to help me get started. I need you to be testers for a set (or few sets) of eggs from these to see the results. My incubator space is limited, so I can only hatch out small numbers at a time. The offspring at this point would be "diamonds in the rough" and split lavenders. If you are a good record keeper, an experienced incubator, and can report back to me often with your results, please let me know if you are interested. The more information you can provide about yourself and your interests with this project will be pluses. You will get to keep the ones you hatch to help me with this project. All you will have to do is pay actual shipping on the eggs. This will be a long-term project in order to get the standard cochin look. Once we got through a few generations, these should start looking nice. Also, it will be a plus to already have some good quality blacks to breed them back to in the future to improve their conformation.

I will be choosing 3 of the following potential helpers to help me with this project. I can't do this alone. You will get credit for your work.

List of potential helpers: (Update 5/17)

1. Crazy4Cochins
2. WA4-Hpoulrymom
3. Sugar Sand Farm
4. kathyinmo
5. chickenlittle32
6. muddyhorse
7. isadream
8. iajewel
9. KellyHM
10. wolftracks

I'm sure that I've missed something, so if you have a questions, please ask.
smile.png

These pictures were taken over a month ago. I will get newer ones soon. The roo is much more filled out now and way better looking.
6809_dscn1101.jpg

6809_dscn1108.jpg

6809_cochins_028.jpg

Last edited:
Wish I could help there is also a LF lavender Faverolles project going and I am trying to work on bantam lavender faverolles to. I wish I had coop space and time!

Henry

Wow how cool I wish I could help since cochins are one of my favies!! But I don't have a working incubator, I think my heating wafer is broke. and I am still a newbie even after 3 years at this. I am askin this question if it's dumb it's because i don't know this,
The Silver bird in the picture, is this a standard cochin???? Why doesn't it have feathered feet?
I have a tiny silver one that I am sure is a roo becasue his tiny little comb is turning red.
What color is the cochin on the bottom classified? the whole coloring confuses me some look lavender to me and people say no that splash or blue and it looks black to me
idunno.gif

But thats why I bother other people so I learn right.

I would sooooo love to be in on this, but lack of space is the problem. We keep talking about getting a big shed to house pygmy goats and more birds pens. If that goes through anytime soon, then I am all over this if your slots are not full by then! My 14 yr old dd uses bantam cochins for 4-H, and I have an incubator currently going full of Lav Ameraucana's (both LF & Bantam) and Lav & BBS Orps.

I would be interested as well. I raise the LF cochins and have shown my blue hen Doodle. She took BV at the Sunshine Classic show this past January. I have hatched out alot of biddles last year and I am on my second hatch right now I went into lockdown last night. I usually get around 80% hatch rate sometime alittle less depending on the age of the eggs. I brood my babies in the house until they are old enough to go outside then I have several growout pens and coops to put them in. We are also NPIP certified. Right now I am raising the large cochins, Jersey giants, orpingtons( BBS) leghorns, brahmas and real blue ameracuanas all my birds are kept separate I do not cross breed my birds. The only problem I would have is I do not do Paypal. (My son had his identity stolen from there so I will not use it. I could send you moneyorders for shipping instead. Please let me know Micki

I would love to be in a project like this! I have a large incubator..(6 turners) Have a few large fowl Cochins from Vicki Pittman. Just built new brooders. All my pure breeds are separated.

Back
Top Bottom