Giant Silkie Project.

Does This Sound Like A Good Idea Silkie Lovers?

• Total voters
Pics
My broilers.
CockerelView attachment 2013253View attachment 2013254Hen.View attachment 2013255They were thrown in the bantam bin at Tractor Supply.
I haven't read through the whole thread yet but :thumbsup
I had begun the same idea few yrs back, giant silkies for meat and bigger broodies. I abandoned the project though.
TSC 'silkies' are pretty big, like you said my cockerels averaged 5-6lbs.
I crossed a huge white jersey giant I had over white silkie hens. Some hatched fm (black skin) but none had any silkie feathering. I had planned on back crossing the pullets from that bunch back to a silkie rooster but got involved in other breeding and lost interest.
If I was to do it again I had planned on going with good breeder quality silkies and cochins, cochins because they are big and feather footed, I like your idea of using brahmas, about the same idea.
I did get some crosses of my Jgiant/silkies crossed with naked neck, had one hatch with black skin which was pretty cool with the naked neck, but it faded as it grew and was more a light grey.
Good luck and have fun!!:D

I haven't read through the whole thread yet but :thumbsup
I had begun the same idea few yrs back, giant silkies for meat and bigger broodies. I abandoned the project though.
TSC 'silkies' are pretty big, like you said my cockerels averaged 5-6lbs.
I crossed a huge white jersey giant I had over white silkie hens. Some hatched fm (black skin) but none had any silkie feathering. I had planned on back crossing the pullets from that bunch back to a silkie rooster but got involved in other breeding and lost interest.
If I was to do it again I had planned on going with good breeder quality silkies and cochins, cochins because they are big and feather footed, I like your idea of using brahmas, about the same idea.
I did get some crosses of my Jgiant/silkies crossed with naked neck, had one hatch with black skin which was pretty cool with the naked neck, but it faded as it grew and was more a light grey.
Good luck and have fun!!:D
I do have a couple breeder quality birds I got from a SQ Silkie breeder, but they're too small, & short legged to hop onto the backs of those Brahma ladies. One reason I'm using my better looking hatchery stock roosters for the project instead.

Nice to know another person who had the same idea at one point. :D

Thanks for wishing me luck. I wish you luck on whatever you're doing now.

Jersey Giant/Sikie cross in front, she is a big girl but really not much bigger than the TSC Silkies were.
1585232244578.png

One of her chicks in front, 1/4 JG 1/4 Silkie/ half naked neck
1585232431529.png

I wish you luck on whatever you're doing now
Line of white naked necks crossed with white Jersey Giants, breeding them back together for hatching clean necked naked necks this yr, then next yr hopefully crossing them with cornishX. I would like to do a few other things still but that chicken math feed gets super expensive!! Lol.
You mentioned Malay, I've had that thought also adding to this cross (or Madagascar gamefowl which are much like Malay but also have naked necks) .

Line of white naked necks crossed with white Jersey Giants, breeding them back together for hatching clean necked naked necks this yr, then next yr hopefully crossing them with cornishX. I would like to do a few other things still but that chicken math feed gets super expensive!! Lol.
You mentioned Malay, I've had that thought also adding to this cross (or Madagascar gamefowl which are much like Malay but also have naked necks) .
I like your creative naked neck crosses you have planned out. I wonder how they'll turn out once crossed with CornishX.

Yep, I got Malay eggs waiting to go into the incubator.
Planning to add them to the Giant Silkie bloodline later, to add extra height.

Back
Top Bottom