giant yellow chicks? -pic heavy

Leghorns don't hatch out any bigger than other standard birds, and in fact are lighter bodied and smaller than say a rock or orpington.

Those are meat birds. After about 8 to 10 weeks they will be having a hard time walking. Our friend had one that lived to 1.5 years but he didn't walk much and he was about the size of a small turkey.

Ok, thanks everybody. I think they must be meat birds. Oh well, they'll have a good life here for a while, and they did their jobs as surrogate siblings quite nicely. Thanks!

I always say my meat animals have a great life and one really bad day
wink.png

I always say my meat animals have a great life and one really bad day
wink.png
bwahhaaa! Really though, that would be surprising to me if they were. They probably don't have a lot of those running around since they don't typically make it to adulthood to breed. Some farmer is out there counting his chicken dinners and coming up two short.
lol.png

To add a twist to this, I actually live in northern Patagonia, Argentina (although I'm Canadian). We probably don't have the same cross breeds here for meaties that are common in North America, especially not so likely at the small farm operation where I got them. Although it's pretty likely they're broilers of some sort, I couldn't begin to guess what cross they are. You'd think I would've had the brains to ask the farmer what they were! I was just so desperate to get company for the lonely chick that it didn't occur to me at the time. (The first chick had imprinted on me and shrieked constantly when I didn't have my hand in the brooder for it to see and run to.) That first chick and all the other chicks are Araucanas, so maybe a bit smaller than average.

Back
Top Bottom