Giardia and treatment

bubbyduck

Chirping
May 24, 2019
Australia
So I have 4 ducks and 1 was diagnosed with giardia. Two have bad diarrhea. The vet prescribed metronidazole tablets (which I believe is banned in the US) for everyone. However I have one bird that is not handleable. So I got dimetronidazole powder. I was told it’s 1 teaspoon per 8 litres (2 gallon US). But does anyone know the actual dose per bird? My ducks are all 2lb call ducks. I am worried about the bird either getting too much or not enough. I have read about toxicity issues. I was thinking I would remove the swimming pool and just put a water bowl out. Then they normally have a water bowl at night. So no normal water I assume while doing treatment. And reduce the amount made by 1/2 or more because I will never use 8 litres in a day? I was considering giving the two girls the metronidazole and the two boys the dimetronidazole.. but maybe everyone should be on the same?

My girls are both tail pumping and I have no idea if that’s possibly related or solely egg related. Because one is implanted so she shouldn’t be laying! She was breathing heavier last night 😞 I have read all kinds of symptoms in humans relating to giardia including respiratory but I haven’t seen anything mentioned relating to birds or other animals. I know it’s a horrible parasite and I believe my ducks have had it a fair while.

Any giardia treatment experience is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom