My sebright cockerel just died - coccidia and giardia

Pompona

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
Spain
Hi everyone,
I am so sad and frustrated. My sebright cockerel called "Ruflito" just died today. Yesterday I took him to the vet since he had been sick for a few days. The vet did a fecal float and saw coccidia and giardias. Started treatment with metronidazole and tortrazuril, but it was too late. The thing is that he had been sick with this about 2 months ago, and he recovered but was never the same. In between, I have been trying to keep the coop and run as clean as possible, but it is difficult because the floor is just dirt. So I guess coccidia and giardia cysts can not be eliminated completely. His brother also became sick a couple of days ago and I started the same treatment. But this afternoon when I came home I saw that 1 younger sebright pullet had diarrhea and undigested seeds, although she is still behaving normally. So she and her sister are also with the same treatment as of today. So at the moment I have to give individual doses of each medication to 4 chickens twice a day.
This is certainly taking a lot of my time (and money!!!) and I don't know what else to do. The only thing that I can think of is putting all of my 5 remaining sebrights in a poultry cage to keep them out of the dirt (sigh). But it is kind of sad because I love to watch them running around in the run.
At the moment they share a coop and large run (3 × 6 meters) with 5 pekin bantams (4 pullets and 1 rooster), 6 normal laying hens and 4 other bantams ( Serama and Kriel). Luckily the pekkn bantams and laying hens do not seem affected. It's mostly sebrights that are getting sick. Any ideas on what else can I do?
Sorry for the rant, I'm feeling very frustrated at the moment. Thanks for reading me and any advice is welcome!

To be sure, I would definitely opt for a necropsy at your region's poultry lab.
Coccidia is everywhere and will always show up in a fecal float test even when a bird is resistant. It could be a 7 year old bird that has been on the same ground for years and has become resistant by 2 or 3 months of age, coccidia will still show up in feces because they are consuming it.
Not likely what killed the bird. A necropsy should tell you and what killed it may be something completely different than something intestinal.

Thanks for answering! My suspicion is that Ruflito died from necrotic enteritis, as a complication of coccidiosis. I might try to do the necropsy myself, as here in Spain there are no state labs that can do necropsies for private clients, I think they only work for poultry farms.
. He died at the vet's, so I still have to pick him up tomorrow. I will decide tomorrow if I am brave enough to attempt a necropsy!

Back
Top Bottom