Life after coccidiosis - Sebright cockerels

Pompona

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
Spain
Hi, I have 3 Sebright cockerels that are 5 months old. A month and a half ago, these cockerels were all sick with coccidiosis, and apparently giardia too. I treated with tortrazuril (Baycox) and metronidazol for giardias, as instructed by the vet. However, ever since, I see them kind of depressed every 2 weeks approx. I guess their gut was severly damaged and now they are weaker or maybe they get reinfected with coccidiosis.
They have been "isolated" in a wooden pen inside the main run, but they are close to the rest of the flock.
I have treated them with Baycox twice since the first infection. After treatment they perk up and improve, but then they seem kind of depressed.
The rest of the flock is fine. It's only Sebrights that get sick often :rolleyes:
What can I do? I have also given them probiotics and cooked egg sometimes.

Thanks for any advice!

PS I also have amprolium (Corid), but I read tortrazuril kills coccidia, while Corid is more a coccidiostat.

Hi, I have 3 Sebright cockerels that are 5 months old. A month and a half ago, these cockerels were all sick with coccidiosis, and apparently giardia too. I treated with tortrazuril (Baycox) and metronidazol for giardias, as instructed by the vet. However, ever since, I see them kind of depressed every 2 weeks approx. I guess their gut was severly damaged and now they are weaker or maybe they get reinfected with coccidiosis.
They have been "isolated" in a wooden pen inside the main run, but they are close to the rest of the flock.
I have treated them with Baycox twice since the first infection. After treatment they perk up and improve, but then they seem kind of depressed.
The rest of the flock is fine. It's only Sebrights that get sick often :rolleyes:
What can I do? I have also given them probiotics and cooked egg sometimes.

Thanks for any advice!

PS I also have amprolium (Corid), but I read tortrazuril kills coccidia, while Corid is more a coccidiostat.
I'm only familiar with Corid which has amprolium and the need to administer vitamins for a week or two after the treatment is done. Regardless, I would give them some Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell in their water every other day for a week and see if they perk up at all. It could be just an overall vitamin deficiency of some type they're having and that would help.

I'm only familiar with Corid which has amprolium and the need to administer vitamins for a week or two after the treatment is done. Regardless, I would give them some Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell in their water every other day for a week and see if they perk up at all. It could be just an overall vitamin deficiency of some type they're having and that would help.
Thanks, Debbie292d. I will give them some vitamins and continue with egg+probiotics as well. Hopefully they will recover. It's so frustrating! Up until the first infection they were so active and healthy (and beautiful).

Thanks, Debbie292d. I will give them some vitamins and continue with egg+probiotics as well. Hopefully they will recover. It's so frustrating! Up until the first infection they were so active and healthy (and beautiful).
I really hope it helps and that they recover. It's just sad to see ill chickens and feel helpless as to what's wrong. All we can do is try to help them. You've got this!

Back
Top Bottom