GIL’S WORLD EMERGENCY 💔

We made it into the vet already due to a cancelation!!!!!! They don’t think it’s infected because it’s not swollen or warm. They think it’s something between a sprain and hairline fracture. I got 7 days worth of pain meds “metacam”. Were expecting a much more normal Gil around 5 days later so by day 7 if things aren’t much better we will go back to vet for an X-ray. I will certainly keep you guys updated.

side note: the vets office was totally smitten over Gil. They said they took a whole photo shoot and were wondering if I minded if they posted to their social media. I said of course, so I’ll have to find and share the pics with you guys!!!

the vets office still has covid procedures so I couldn’t go in with Gil and I was petrified but the nurse that came out to get her has 3 ducks of her own and it made her day (which always makes mine)
Yay, sounds like everything will be a-ok for her! I can't wait to see the photo shoot 😄🦆

Hello all!! Thank you so much again for responses, support and positivity.

I’m thinking she injured it trying to mate her waterer. She had a ducky waterer but it sat on top of a metal drip pan for a water heater. (I’ll insert pics below for example). I think she slipped off the edge of the drip pan and hurt her leg then. We used this water setup for about a year but she really only started trying to mate it 2 or so months ago. Needless to say, no more pans ever. No more pen either. We are moving surely but slowly. I dropped everything to be with Gil. Hopefully by the end of the week we will be in.

We actually have been working on diaper training; although I still won’t use them for extended periods of time. Luke’s goal for Gil (which I’m not fully sold on) is diapered and free range of the house. Any suggestions?! It’s just the fully diapered idea makes me think of hygiene issues because they poop so frequently. I’ve considered a bedroom/living room pen and having her be 50/50 diapered/pen.

Current physical update: Gil prefers to lay down currently. She stands and hobbles when she needs to stretch. She’s capable of doing a wing flap when she needs. She’s taking some vitamin b complex in her water. She’s drinking out of a large tupperware container and still eating out of her food bowl. Same diet, purina laying pellets and oyster shell. Meal worms as needed (which is a lot when my baby’s hurt!! Lol)

Gil thanks everyone for the prayers and thoughts. I’ll post a video update again soon!

(we had the waterer below sitting inside the drip pan and she started standing on the ledge of the drip pan trying to mate the waterer!) [I think that’s what she slipped off of and hurt herself on-I’m so mad at myself😡]

1C5A49C2-E820-44EF-907D-4D833DDC523E.jpeg B7D84452-79ED-4E6F-BDF9-8E3CB9BE3657.jpeg

She feels her best when she’s in the tub so I’m trying to keep her in there as much as possible. I keep draining and refilling it with warm water as needed. This time when I drained it she took it upon herself to stand a bit more then she has been and she didn’t just fall over in pain. *Sigh of a little relief*

she’s also capable of diving for grapes in the tub which is a favorite past time of hers. Today was the second dose of metacam and she had it probably an hour and a half before this video.

She feels her best when she’s in the tub so I’m trying to keep her in there as much as possible. I keep draining and refilling it with warm water as needed. This time when I drained it she took it upon herself to stand a bit more then she has been and she didn’t just fall over in pain. *Sigh of a little relief*

she’s also capable of diving for grapes in the tub which is a favorite past time of hers. Today was the second dose of metacam and she had it probably an hour and a half before this video.
She is so adorable 🦆🦆🦆

I'm so glad to hear that Gil is feeling better! Even if it's just a little better, I know every improvement makes you feel better too. :)

On the subject of diapers (or pants as we call them in our house) or no pants, we struggle with this issue too. I've tried pants training my girls but I worry about the poops getting their vent area all yucky. We only have carpet in our bedrooms and I keep the carpet covered with washable puppy pads and old sheets/blankets...and do laundry every day. We also have an area rug in the livingroom that I keep covered. I'm home with my girls all the time so I just mop up poops off the wood/vinyl floors as they happen. If we have to go out, the girls get closed up in the master bedroom (their room) and they have food and water in the bathroom. We have a very strict "watch your step" policy in the house. If you don't, you'll probably end up stepping on a duck or poops. Except our older girl, Bill Bill, is actually pretty good at standing by a poop and quacking until someone comes to clean it up if it's in a high traffic area. It's pretty funny. She'll even point at it with her beak.

Gil’s feeling very independent right now!! Had a long soak in the tub and is now hobbling around stretching out and preening. This is much better than just laying on her belly all day. She did get pain meds probably 3-4 hours ago at this point. I will wrap her up in blanket soon so she’ll lay back down. I don’t think it’s hurting her any stretching for a few mins. She isn’t putting weight on that leg still but she can put her (bad side) toes down on the floor just for balance now.

Back
Top Bottom