GIL’S WORLD EMERGENCY 💔

I'm so glad to hear that Gil is feeling better! Even if it's just a little better, I know every improvement makes you feel better too. :)

On the subject of diapers (or pants as we call them in our house) or no pants, we struggle with this issue too. I've tried pants training my girls but I worry about the poops getting their vent area all yucky. We only have carpet in our bedrooms and I keep the carpet covered with washable puppy pads and old sheets/blankets...and do laundry every day. We also have an area rug in the livingroom that I keep covered. I'm home with my girls all the time so I just mop up poops off the wood/vinyl floors as they happen. If we have to go out, the girls get closed up in the master bedroom (their room) and they have food and water in the bathroom. We have a very strict "watch your step" policy in the house. If you don't, you'll probably end up stepping on a duck or poops. Except our older girl, Bill Bill, is actually pretty good at standing by a poop and quacking until someone comes to clean it up if it's in a high traffic area. It's pretty funny. She'll even point at it with her beak.

Awwww!!!! This is awesome!!!! I need to train Gil to quack at her poops until they’re picked up!!!!! We have hardwoods throughout so it will be an adventure. Half of the house we just sanded and stained the hardwoods so we’ll need to protect those well. We debated on her food being in the basemen since it’s concrete floors but she won’t have constant access to the basement so I’ll need to keep thinking.

Awwww!!!! This is awesome!!!! I need to train Gil to quack at her poops until they’re picked up!!!!! We have hardwoods throughout so it will be an adventure. Half of the house we just sanded and stained the hardwoods so we’ll need to protect those well. We debated on her food being in the basemen since it’s concrete floors but she won’t have constant access to the basement so I’ll need to keep thinking.

Yeah, our hardwood floors are old and beat up from people wearing dirty shoes in the house (can't seem to get anyone to understand that they're basically sanding the floors with their filthy shoes), dogs and cats so I figure "meh" about duck poo. They have food and water dishes in the kitchen and master bathroom. I put washable pee pads and an old bath mat under their water/food in the kitchen because they like to take baths in the kitchen water dish.

Unfortunately Bill doesn't always quack about her poops needing to be cleaned up. Sometimes she shoots them out at me and runs away laughing. Ok, fine. Most of the time she poops at me and runs away laughing. :lau She's lucky I love her so much! Girl can do no wrong. :love

Gil’s feeling very independent right now!! Had a long soak in the tub and is now hobbling around stretching out and preening. This is much better than just laying on her belly all day. She did get pain meds probably 3-4 hours ago at this point. I will wrap her up in blanket soon so she’ll lay back down. I don’t think it’s hurting her any stretching for a few mins. She isn’t putting weight on that leg still but she can put her (bad side) toes down on the floor just for balance now.

How‘s Miss Gil doing? ♥️

How‘s Miss Gil doing? ♥

Gil is slowly but surely feeling better!! She puts a little weight on her foot now and hobbles around when she wants to stretch. She has a couple days worth of painkillers left.

we built a new pen out of plywood in the basement at our new house. That’s where we’ll feed her and let her eat but otherwise she’ll be partially diapered. We also have a portable soft pen that we will use In the living rm/bedroom when we don’t want a diaper on her. We should be done moving soon and she’ll be a mostly free range house duck!!

Hello!! Gil has 1 or 2 more days worth of painkillers left. Thankfully I don’t think she truly needs them anymore. She’s back to making a mess with her water and dumping her food into it. I’m still only using a small Tupperware for food and water and changing it frequently. I refuse to give her her ducky waterer back because that’s definetly how she injured herself (trying to mate it). She’s still getting vitamin b complex and an occasional dose of calcium glu just to help her body out. She hasn’t laid any eggs since she started the metacam painkillers but I’m not worried about that. I’d bet that’s perfectly normal. I’ll just pay attention and make sure she gets back to 1 egg a day sometime soon.

she does get up and walk around now, just with a wobble as to not put all her weight down on the bad foot. I will get an update video tomorrow. I plan to take her outside for the first time since the injury for fresh air since she’s significantly better.

the new indoor pen is all built in the basement at the new house. We will probably be moving in tomorrow. I have a handful of diapers as well as the portable pen so she’ll just follow us around the house. We have a fire pit and Gil loves campfires! We also have a side deck and lots of yard space so I’m sure we will be spending so much time outside. Hoping to get her baby pool set up in the basement pen. Basement pen is 8 foot long by 4 foot wide. We plan to keep the messy foods there + hopefully baby pool. The basement is concrete with a door that opens to the backyard. Right outside the door is a drain built into the ground. We’re not sure where the drain leads ( the ground or a sewage pipe???) but either way we plan to pull the hose into the basement as needed and rinse off + squeegee out the back door into the drain. I’m so excited for Gil and will keep you guys updated!

Gil’s ankle joint seems to be much better, almost completly back to normal. She has been flying inside my house recently *FacePalm* and I’m sure those landings aren’t helping her heal. She just started flying again, I’m wondering if she just lost enough weight lol. It’s okay though because she only flies out of her pen when she knows we’d let her free roam and we just keep her out anyways. I think if we’re not home she won’t leave her pen because we’re not there to put her away and she knows she wouldn’t be able to get back to her food. Bonus for me though! Pens currently in the living room but we have an 8 foot by 4 foot one we built in the basement.The basement pen isn’t done yet but I’m still not even sure about it. I’d rather have her diapered and free roaming but our whole house is hardwoods so I don’t know where I’d put her food. Might just stick to letting her eat in the basement and free roam otherwise.

we got a new house and (it’s barely put together or even clean yet) but of course Gil had to start malting the same week lol. So not only are we dealing with her temporary pen in the middle of the living room, she’s malting ALL OVER MY LIVING ROOM! Lol wish us luck
8AC37B81-ACFF-4AE8-AA8C-5D9B000FDE85.jpeg EFD52DB3-FE49-4408-9326-545A79938E0C.jpeg F035A8D8-41A9-416A-A04C-389CC723AC34.jpeg
(still no egg laying since the second day of the leg injury/introduction of the pain killers which have been done for 3 days now) but I don’t expect her to start laying again now because she never lays while malting. I am still giving her vitamin b and the occasional dose of calcium glu.

Back
Top Bottom