Gimp Hen

Your hen has either a sprained or strained tendon or ligament. I've dealt with leg issues before in chickens. You should put her in a cage for rest and relaxation, not up walking and running around causing more serious injury. Do not give her aspirin for pain or any other meds. You want her to feel pain so that she wont walk and so that she can sit or lay down and heal. Provide her food and water, do your best to keep the cage clean.

You can crush vitamin B complex tablets and sprinkle the powder on her food to eat. It might help speed up recovery. Remove her from her cage in 7 days and see if there's improvement. If not, recage her and continue the vitamin B complex treatment. Then let her out of the cage in 7 more days and see if there's improvement. If not, recage her and stop the vitamin B complex in her feed.
These types of injuries take time to heal, weeks to months depending on the severity of the injury. There may come a time when you'll have to decide about her quality of life, whether to continue to cage her or cull her.
Remember, time heals.

Your hen has either a sprained or strained tendon or ligament. I've dealt with leg issues before in chickens. You should put her in a cage for rest and relaxation, not up walking and running around causing more serious injury. Do not give her aspirin for pain or any other meds. You want her to feel pain so that she wont walk and so that she can sit or lay down and heal. Provide her food and water, do your best to keep the cage clean.

You can crush vitamin B complex tablets and sprinkle the powder on her food to eat. It might help speed up recovery. Remove her from her cage in 7 days and see if there's improvement. If not, recage her and continue the vitamin B complex treatment. Then let her out of the cage in 7 more days and see if there's improvement. If not, recage her and stop the vitamin B complex in her feed.
These types of injuries take time to heal, weeks to months depending on the severity of the injury. There may come a time when you'll have to decide about her quality of life, whether to continue to cage her or cull her.
Remember, time heals.
Thank you for the advice. The only thing I haven’t tried is the vitamin B. I will start that today and hopefully there will be some progress.

Back
Top Bottom