Ginger Red And Opal Colors?

Opal needs to be crossed with the dun gene to establish an allelic relatonship with the dominant white family. This would be th best way as a true dominant white line can carry so many hypostatic genes including recessive white. If Opal really is allelic to I Dominant white it is also allelic to ID Dun. TShelton54

Homozygous dun would also be a diluted color similar to opal.
But if you cross a khaki animal with an opal and intercross the F1 you shouldn't get any black (non opal non dun) animals when allelic.

pop.gif

Opal needs to be crossed with the dun gene to establish an allelic relatonship with the dominant white family. This would be th best way as a true dominant white line can carry so many hypostatic genes including recessive white. If Opal really is allelic to I Dominant white it is also allelic to ID Dun. TShelton54
again.... Opal has nothing to do with dominant white allele, the Opal line Sjarvis has been working for so many years has prooven this time again.. if you want to prove otherwise then its up to you to do the breeding as Sjarvis has provided enough documentation already, its up to you to do the same

Tim,
I would be happy to discuss this with you at length at anytime, and even make the cross you ask for and provide the results for you, I should note as I stated earlier Ron and I have followed very different breeding practices, I have not incorporated crosses and back crosses into the birds I have they have been line bred in two distinct lines one un crossed which developed the blue downed with white breast chicks and tends toward light leg color. The secind was the group I crossed with white and seperated the two there.
I have aquired a light legged female also from Ron's matings to confirm what might be achieved by a line cross at this point and have no young of age to know at this time if that even worth persueing.

I have Fawn Silver Duckwings available to me for the purpose you describe as well as the "sport" from Fawn x Fawn matings I do not beleive this will yeild the result you expect as Dun much like Blue require black to act on to developthe color and the Opal is not black in any part of the plumage.

I would think it would be worthwhile to determine if any of the birds that were used in the earlier test matings were from an Opal Cross bred back to an Opal and potentialy only 3/4 Opal while showing the phenotype possibly not being of the soundest genetics for the purpose used.

Carry own with the direction you are pursueing. I am only trying to hypothesize what may be going on with this color. The only results I had was what Ron reported to me directly. I may discuss your findings at greater length later. TShelton54

There is also a chance there are two genes that look the same, but are different. Maybe on is dominate white and one is recessive white.

Carry own with the direction you are pursueing. I am only trying to hypothesize what may be going on with this color. The only results I had was what Ron reported to me directly. I may discuss your findings at greater length later. TShelton54
You have my number I have been working some really long hours lately but will make myself available for you.

There is also a chance there are two genes that look the same, but are different. Maybe on is dominate white and one is recessive white.
this could also be the case, but it seems to be recessive to even i+ right? crossing a i+/iOp(Opal based one dominant white allele) with a heterozygous cOp(Opal based on the c allele) should give us all black birds right?..

The Birds Tim has discussed and the Birds I have originated from the same two that started this whole color, I was fortunate enough to gain access to a few of the first offspring from the initial mating when it was determined they would breed true to color if mated to each other. We just followed slightly different paths with the birds from that point.

Back
Top Bottom