Girl with Broken Wing

kmerkley01

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
The other evening, my dad was throwing a tennis ball for his two dogs. One of them spun around and accidentally mowed over one of our Buff Orpington hens, Squawky (she earned her name with the multitude of crazy sounds she makes). When she got up and ran off, the lower 4 or 5 inches of her left wing were sticking straight out, perpendicular to her body.
hit.gif
barnie.gif

Fortunately, the vet that my parents use for their cats and dogs, also specializes in "other" animals. We've seen everything from baby Robins and Quail in the office to Golden Eagles (brought in by state Fish & Game agents), to a Tiger for the local large cat sanctuary. Mom called and they said to bring Squawky in in the morning, as we couldn't catch her that night. The next morning, the vet straightened the broken bone and, with a suture or two, stitched her wing to her side. He then wrapped her up a bit to further secure the injured wing to her body and put a mesh sleeve over that, with a cut-out for her un-injured wing. It took about 20 minutes and she was ready to come back home.
ya.gif

The vet advised keeping her separated from the other chickens in case they wanted to pick on her. That worked for the first 36 hours. Now she is feeling better and wants back with her flock! This morning she was in the front part of the coop (actually a storage area). When I went in to check on her, she had managed to get up on the outside area of the nesting boxes, where the eggs can roll out to. She was trying to stick her head under the gap, and get back in with the other girls! We put her in with them while someone was constantly there to watch to make sure Squawky was safe. They were ALL so happy to have her back. When she got up on the top row of nesting boxes, to lay her egg (she has laid one every day through this injury) one of our Barred Rock girls stood on the perch in front of the box and kept guard. Every once in a while the BR would turn around and chirp to Squawky and she would return the chatter.

I am amazed at how nimble Squawky is, even with one wing out of order. Tonight she was happily resting on the top rung of the roost!

Our vet advised keeping the sutures in and the wrapping on for 2 to 3 weeks and then she should be all back to normal. It was $100 well spent to know that one of our girls at least has a fighting chance to heal. We adore the 13 hens that we have and enjoy all the aspects of having them in our lives. The fresh eggs are wonderful, but the pleasure they have brought to our lives is beyond measure. I'm thrilled that there are options available for birds with injured wings.
woot.gif

I just had to share our good news on Squawky.

Kasey

Back
Top Bottom