Girls are in the coop

Big Doggie

Songster
Mar 23, 2020
Mass
I just put my 6 Golden Comets in their coop today. As a newbie I know they should be confined to the house for a while... but for how long? I’ve heard 2 days and I’ve heard a week before they are allowed to be let into the coop run. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Depends on how old they are. My chicks go in coop on Day 1, I open the door the run at 2 weeks and I check around 10 PM, they always go inside. So 2 weeks is enough for day olds, not sure how long older chicks would need.

Depends on how old they are. My chicks go in coop on Day 1, I open the door the run at 2 weeks and I check around 10 PM, they always go inside. So 2 weeks is enough for day olds, not sure how long older chicks would need.
These hens are 6 weeks old and look pretty much like adults but smaller. After 2 hours I found them up on the roosts and chillin. So they look pretty comfortable. So I guess I’ll just wait one more day and then let them have access to the run. I understand that they need to figure out how or when to get back into the coop.

These hens are 6 weeks old and look pretty much like adults but smaller. After 2 hours I found them up on the roosts and chillin. So they look pretty comfortable. So I guess I’ll just wait one more day and then let them have access to the run. I understand that they need to figure out how or when to get back into the coop.
3 days and they usually know where "home" is. Some folks suggest the first day you let them out do it late in the afternoon so they don't stray too far, but if you don't spook them they shouldn't go too far the first few days anyway (some may not leave the coop at all for a day or two when you open the door) then they'll go a little farther each day as they learn the lay of the land.

here is what I recommend so you don’t end up stressing about not seeing them move up and down the ramp while you stare at them (a common problem on this message board)
Fool proof plan I follow for no stress every time

- open the coop door
- leave
- in one hour, look at chicks and see where they are
- in one more hour, check again. If they are in the same place as last check, move them (chuck them out of the coop into the run, or herd/ put them back into the coop)
- check in one hour (hour 3)
- move them again at hour at hour 4 if still in same place

Basically, you only check them no more frequently than once an hour, and move them if they are in the same place for two hours in a row. Staring at them more frequently than this will not be useful (I have hens that won’t go in and out of the coop for 2 hours, why would a chick?) and only serve to stress you out. Going into it with a plan and following it will be easiest for everyone. They won’t thirst or starve to death in this time frame.

here is what I recommend so you don’t end up stressing about not seeing them move up and down the ramp while you stare at them (a common problem on this message board)
Fool proof plan I follow for no stress every time

- open the coop door
- leave
- in one hour, look at chicks and see where they are
- in one more hour, check again. If they are in the same place as last check, move them (chuck them out of the coop into the run, or herd/ put them back into the coop)
- check in one hour (hour 3)
- move them again at hour at hour 4 if still in same place

Basically, you only check them no more frequently than once an hour, and move them if they are in the same place for two hours in a row. Staring at them more frequently than this will not be useful (I have hens that won’t go in and out of the coop for 2 hours, why would a chick?) and only serve to stress you out. Going into it with a plan and following it will be easiest for everyone. They won’t thirst or starve to death in this time frame.
Thanks. I’m going to try that.

Back
Top Bottom