Girls keep going in the woods

Bagawk2017

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2017

The girls were sent outside last week, they have finally mustered the courage to come out over the last few days. Unfortunately, they keep going into the woods! Will this behavior stop once the woods fill in? They always run away from us when we walk towards them, and will just venture further into the woods :/

:welcome

Have you ever wondered why people who are afraid of something are called chickens? It's not because chickens are known for standing and facing their fears. Chickens are a prey animal. Their instincts tell them to head for cover to help hide them from potential predators. There are also all kinds of fun things to scratch through and dig up and eat in those woods! Have you seen how many different bugs and plants grow under those rotting leaves? It's a treasure trove out there!

If you want your chickens to come to you, you'd be better off grabbing a comfy lawn chair, sitting near where they range and toss them bits of scratch now and then. As they get comfortable with you, drop it closer and closer to yourself until they come right up to you. If you want to keep them out of the woods, you may have to fence them out.

Thankyou :) I am always amazed how kind everyone is on here, I'm really new to this chicken thing, and just want to snuggle them gall darn it lol! We were finding grubs for them a few days ago, maybe I need to get more of those to butter those girls up!

Thankyou :) I am always amazed how kind everyone is on here, I'm really new to this chicken thing, and just want to snuggle them gall darn it lol! We were finding grubs for them a few days ago, maybe I need to get more of those to butter those girls up!

You might want to find something other than grubs now that they are finding those on their own now... :)

This chicken-keeping thing is a fun hobby and an ongoing learning experience. Once you think you have it all figured out, they go and change the game! The other problem is, they don't read the same books we do. Enjoy your birds!

Back
Top Bottom