Giving Away a yoong roo...worried.

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
I have a man who wants to take one of my 6 week old roos home for his flock. He said he already has chickens, and its ok thhat the roo is young. I have 4 pullets ffrom the hatch that are "spoken for"....as in, I am selling them and actually gettiing money, whereas I am giving the roo for free to a non eating (so they say) home. I never give/ sell chicks in singles. Always 2 or more. Should I justt send the liittle guy alone or should I just suck it upp and send a free pullet "buddy" and telll the others they can only buy 3?

Would the little roo be ok by himself? Am I worrying too much? I really care about my birds, even if they are being sold.

Don’t know what to say? Once I had placed a couple cockerels on Craigslist for free. Received email from interested person provided their phone number. When I called the guy I could tell immediately he was not looking for breeding purposes. Without any doubt I could tell he was looking for roosters for cock fighting. Needless to say he did not get any of my birds.

I would not mind giving a Cockerel or Rooster away for someone that is looking for free food. I would even go so far to process the bird for them if they asked. I have processed many Cockerels for our own personal consumption, but I would never give or sell a bird for fighting.

If it is a concern to you about the cockerel going to someone for anything else except a pet than simply just ask him or her what is there intension with the bird, food or breeding? If it is food they may simply tell you.

How could you tell they wanted it for fighting? That worries we now too! He said he has chickens and needs a roo. He said they are pets and not for food.

Quote:
There is no politically safe way to say this I’m sure I will be in trouble. Without going to much detail, the young Hispanic guy lived in the city of Reading, PA which I know has an ordinance not permitting Chickens. He claimed he currently did not have any chickens or roosters and was thinking about getting some. When I asked him about his interest in chickens he could not provide any knowledgeable answer that would indicate he knew anything about chickens. Additionally the city of Reading has been plagued with cock fighting rings.

So I profiled him send me to jail.
barnie.gif

Besides I didn’t like his thug attitude over the phone.
tongue.gif

Last edited:
tell him you prefer to deliver the rooster to him. then while you're there, you can check out his setup, verify that he has other birds, tell him the proper way to introduce, etc. if you feel uncomfortable about any part of the situation, you can leave and take your roo with you.

Yea. I've delivered most of my roos, or asked for pictures of the setup. I will ask questions when I talk to him tomorrow and if he is close enough, I will deliver. I haven't heard much about cock fighting around here, but I wouldn't put it ppast anyone. Chickens are permitted. Most pplaces around here, but not roosters in city liimits, so I will ask hiim that as well.

I spoke with him on the phone todayy and he seems like a very nice man. He is also going to drive very far to get the little guy and wants more females as well, tho I really don't have any others than the ones spoken for that I am willing to give up right now. He already has 9 hens.

I think i am going to give him one of the ones that are spooken for, just for my own peace of mind knowing he will have a buddy to go with. I don't think the other people will mind.

The man has chickens. Your little guy is not going to be alone. There is no reason to send a hen with him and thereby disappointing the people who have reserved the hens.

Back
Top Bottom