Giving baby back

irongate

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 11, 2012
I have a first time hen who left the nest before all the eggs were hatched. She has 8 chicks and seems to be doing a good job with them. There was one that was hatched after she got off and I brought it into the garage, because it was still in the nest box (up@ 4 ft.) and it was cold. So, now this is the 3rd day and she is up and moving about in the box. MY QUESTION IS: When is the best time to try and get her back with the momma and siblings? I don't want to wait too long so that they shun or attack her, but I don't want to do it too soon either. And also, how to go about it.

Last edited:
Thanks. I decided to give it a try today and I went into the coop with her and after awhile, I put her down next to me. They all looked so much bigger than her, even though they are only a couple of days ahead. I checked on them several times today and they all seem to be getting along fine :)

I'm sad that after 5 days, she has decided to reject this baby. She has scared it under the coop and pecks at it when it tries to come out. I can't get to her and even when I tried to give her food through the wiring, she gets scared and runs from me :(

I'm sad that after 5 days, she has decided to reject this baby. She has scared it under the coop and pecks at it when it tries to come out. I can't get to her and even when I tried to give her food through the wiring, she gets scared and runs from me :(
Oh I am so sorry! This is so sad. I bet you will be a great chick mom though. What will you do with the chick?

Keep trying to get to her. But, you may have to trick her to do it in a timely manner. When my chickens run under the coop, I use a long board to guide them in the direction I want them to go, usually into a container of some kind. If I move slowly, it doesn't scare them too much.

Momma does fine with the other 8 chicks. It is just the one that hatched out after she got off the nest and I had to bring it into the garage for the first night and then I put it back out with the others. She was fine with it for the first 4-5 days and has suddenly turned on it. If I take it out again won't it be the same story all over again when I do put it back in?

Back
Top Bottom