Giving chicks a fan?

Rachel504

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
Hello! I just got 15 chicks shipped this week and unfortunately lost one to the heat. I started keeping their heat lamp off, even at night, and they're doing much better now. However, today I noticed one panting a lot and I'm not sure how to help them cool down. Currently the heat index is 104 degrees. I sprayed the patio down with water, but would a fan help? I give my older hens a fan when it gets too hot, but is this safe for chicks less than a week old? Thank you! :)

If there is no way to bring them indoors where it is cooler until they are a bit older then I would think in that heat a fan cannot hurt. So long as they have an area of the brooder to get out of the breeze it should be ok.
If they were with a mama hens she would lead them to shade and they would be exposed to breezes as well as having the cool dirt to lay in if they are hot.

I tried the fan but it didn't seem to be doing much for them, so I've decided to just keep them indoors until they grow some more. Thanks for the help! :)

Back
Top Bottom