1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giving chicks a fan?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rachel504, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Rachel504

Rachel504 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2014
    Hello! I just got 15 chicks shipped this week and unfortunately lost one to the heat. I started keeping their heat lamp off, even at night, and they're doing much better now. However, today I noticed one panting a lot and I'm not sure how to help them cool down. Currently the heat index is 104 degrees. I sprayed the patio down with water, but would a fan help? I give my older hens a fan when it gets too hot, but is this safe for chicks less than a week old? Thank you! :)

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    If there is no way to bring them indoors where it is cooler until they are a bit older then I would think in that heat a fan cannot hurt. So long as they have an area of the brooder to get out of the breeze it should be ok.
    If they were with a mama hens she would lead them to shade and they would be exposed to breezes as well as having the cool dirt to lay in if they are hot.

3. Rachel504

Rachel504 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2014
    I tried the fan but it didn't seem to be doing much for them, so I've decided to just keep them indoors until they grow some more. Thanks for the help! :)

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    It is probably best to do so as they will benefit from it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by