Giving guineas away :'(

Guineas are bold. I love'em. Never had a chicken. Afraid I would not like the Guineas as much anymore since I hear how chickens can be picked up and cuddle - I would be spoiled, ha ha.
Try turkeys. The poults are professionals at grabbing onto your heartstrings.

Guineas are bold. I love'em. Never had a chicken. Afraid I would not like the Guineas as much anymore since I hear how chickens can be picked up and cuddle - I would be spoiled, ha ha.

I’m pretty sure you’ll end up loving both equally as much! I love each different animal for their different personalities (even my derpy cat who scares himself and runs into walls :lau) I love guineas for their curiosity, They’re like little children, always approaching and exploring new things. it’s definitely not a trait my chickens have.

I could give you some of my chickens. They do not like to be held. Or touched. They will however eagerly grab mealworms from your hands, along with a finger... Honestly, I must just be terrible at taming poultry, even the ducks have a “look but don’t touch” policy. One duck was literally jumping into the air and grabbing my hand for mealworms tonight though! I do have some very cuddly dogs and cats...

I visited Guinea #1 #2 and #3 today! ( I never named them because I couldn’t tell them apart! 😩)

Apparently they settled in almost instantly, and their favorite spot is ontop of the coop with the peacock. They seem happy, I’m so glad ☺️

I forgot to take a photo though :(

They will however eagerly grab mealworms from your hands, along with a finger...
Feeding them from my hands was cute until they were 5 weeks old. They wanted a piece of my palm with every bite 😱

I visited Guinea #1 #2 and #3 today! ( I never named them because I couldn’t tell them apart! 😩)

Apparently they settled in almost instantly, and their favorite spot is ontop of the coop with the peacock. They seem happy, I’m so glad ☺

I forgot to take a photo though :(

Feeding them from my hands was cute until they were 5 weeks old. They wanted a piece of my palm with every bite 😱
My guineas are very reluctant to eat from my hands. When I can persuade them, as I did today, they take the mealworms from my hands with surprising delicacy.😇

My guineas are very reluctant to eat from my hands. When I can persuade them, as I did today, they take the mealworms from my hands with surprising delicacy.😇
The only time my guineas have anything to do with me is when I am mowing. They know the mower is their friend and will reveal many easy pickings. They will follow along and clean up behind me.

The only time my guineas have anything to do with me is when I am mowing. They know the mower is their friend and will reveal many easy pickings. They will follow along and clean up behind me.
Well it’s a little ironic because I do really adore and enjoy our guineas... And yet I read these posts about people who could actually TOUCH their guineas without a complete feather shredding panic, and I feel like maybe I’ve somehow missed the Tame Guinea Boat...

Well it’s a little ironic because I do really adore and enjoy our guineas... And yet I read these posts about people who could actually TOUCH their guineas without a complete feather shredding panic, and I feel like maybe I’ve somehow missed the Tame Guinea Boat...
If I need to handle a guinea, I herd it into the coop and net it. Once caught, I hold its legs together with my left hand and position it between my arm and body to control its wings. There is no feather shedding panic and they calm down very quickly as long as the other guineas are not there to egg it on.

Back
Top Bottom