giving my day old chicks corid

mlcrossland

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2016
So a couple of weeks ago one of our birds got coccidiosis and died so we treated our flock and broody hen who had 4 eggs today they all hatched so I decided to give them corid incase they got coccidiosis but I was doing some research later and found out that you shouldn't give day old chicks corid so I immediately took it out and gave them regular water. Will they be okay since they had some? Should I give it to them for the 5-7 days? They have regular water now and all took a couple of drinks out of the corid water. Any information will help.

Just give them plain water or water with some electrolytes and vitamins for a couple of days. Coccidiosis doesn't usually become a problem until they are are a few weeks old. Gradual exposure to soil and cocci should help them to develop normal resistance to cocci in the soil. Watch out for lethargy, not eating, or standing around hunched or puffed up.

Thanks for the information. ..........I will do that.
263a.png

but I was doing some research later and found out that you shouldn't give day old chicks corid so I immediately took it out and gave them regular water. Will they be okay since they had some?

Where did you read that? Amprolium (Corid) medicated feed is given to day old chickens as a matter of course, a preventative dose in the water is not going to be any different...

I would probably do as above and just give them plain water with electrolytes for a few days, and since you recently had and outbreak and likely still have high levels in your coop area, a preventative dose of Amprolium in the water a food is probably a good course of action in the next few days and continued for several weeks for the chicks...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom